Scars affecting my employment.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by lucymorgan, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucymorgan

lucymorgan Active Member

I teach an autistic boy in a mainstream primary school in West London, and absolutely love my job. I work alongside another teacher, and during my time at the school we have become really good friends. A few nights ago we all went out for end of term drinks (and got pretty smashed) and she started talking to me about my arm. She was very sweet but wanted to know about it. I was shocked that she'd even noticed- the most recent cuts are at the very top of my arm, close to my shoulder, which even in 23 degree heat, I make sure is covered. She kind of reacted as if EVERYONE had noticed them- that they were from my wrist to my shoulder. Sometimes I catch the kids starring, and sometimes they ask questions, which really really embarrasses me, and of course I always lie and brush it off. Most are 3 or 4 years old now. In the street, I don't care. I know I will never see those people again, and my friends have known me for far too long to judge. But work is different- I do not want 8 year old children noticing my self harming scars, or to be spoken to about it by management. I'm not sure what to do. Should I keep completely covered up? Or bite the bullet?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

There are creams the diminish the looks of the scars I think if management were concerned they would have said something to you If they are it would be to protect children i think Also there are creams that can cover scars up quite well without having to wear hot clothes summer You can at your own comfort talk to management but if they have not stated a problem i would leave it for now hugs

3. lucymorgan

lucymorgan Active Member

I would never approach management with it, but i'm not sure if I should relax and wear sleeveless things in the blistering heat or keep covered! The majority on my forearm aren't red scars or anything, they're white lines of raised skin. I used to apply Bio Oil but once it had reduced the redness nothing else changed, so I think i'm stuck with these for good! I don't mind as such, they're part of me. But work is a completely different matter.

4. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I think I would suggest telling someone in confidence - and asking them to keep it that way, maybe a work colleague that you trust - that would maybe take some of the tension out of it...just having someone that knew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.