Scars and ITCHING :(

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Little_me, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I'm badly scarred (I have got some nerve damage because of what I have done) hiding it is no problem as the scars are on my upper arm, but the problem is that they ITCH. They really itch a lot and it's driving me crazy! The doctors say that there is nothing they can do about it as it has to do with the nerves, but... Is there anybody here that may have the same problem, what do you do about it? Do you have any tips? Is there any medication, special skin lotion or anything for it?
    Please help!
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I've had problems with severe itching and the only thing that helps me is very hot, but not scalding, tap water.
  3. Darker Than Black

Darker Than Black Well-Known Member

its normal, thats what happens when wounds heal. I fell and hurt my knee, cut myself here and there (accident), before it heal, it itches. I think it has something to do with the body trying to replace the dead body cells.
  4. Buggsy2008

Buggsy2008 Well-Known Member

I don't cut deep enough for any nerve damage, but they do itch when they're healing.. Some days it drives me mad.. I've learnt to put up with it now though.. and in a way it gives me some satisfaction as it reminds me of what i've done and stuff.
  5. sd-239192

sd-239192 Well-Known Member

I have it too, some deep some shallow, also have a really deep set of puncture wounds (dog bite not SH) they often itch badly a friend turned me onto aloe which works nicely to stop the itch, also seems to reduce the scar that forms if you apply it regularly I would just suggest a non scented kind because i have found many kinds with a smell draw attention.
  6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

7. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

'Germoline' is my best friend. It's an anti-septic cream which has a mild anesthetic in it, stops my itching. It's readily available in the UK from every health store or supermarket etc. Not sure about other countries but I'm sure there will be a similar product out there. Wouldn't use it on any fresh cuts (can get messy and stop it healing if it's deep) but great for wounds that are healing :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.