scars in the summer

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by meagainstme, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

when i used to self harm, i covered up completely until the scars had turned white and faded.

however, ive got big fat red scars now. and decided to wear a short sleeved top to college today as i would be the only one in. however, my teacher saw, i could see her eyes, and my anxiety shot up. i dont want to be covered this summer :(

what do you do?
    just face the world? hide it? whaaaa??
  2. Saoirse

Saoirse Guest

If you do a search in the self harm secion there are loads of creams and ointments that people say help reduce scars. I know of a few that use makeup to try to cover up any scarring, not sure if it is any good or not though.
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I personally hide mine, but I still cut in that area, and I don't want to show gaping cuts to the world.

It is natural for people to look and see, same as anything that is 'different' about people, be it clothing, hair, disabilities anything. That is an unfortunate part of society, but it happens. It is only the ignorant that will stare or comment or something, most other people will probably be worried about you, sad, anxious, anything like that, but that should not stop you doing what you want. If you want to wear short sleeves then go for it. Sod everyone else, do what you want.

Your teacher will have been concerned about you. What is it that made you anxious? do you think that you could maybe talk to the teacher?

If you are worried about your scars then you could look at the tips for fading scars sticky at the top of the forum. That might give you ideas for what you can do if you are self conscious about them.

Don't let other people stop you from doing what you want (not generally, just in this instance, lol). If you want to wear short sleeves, then go for it and hold your head high. I think it's really brave.
  4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I had to go out on a really hot day in the Summer wearing a cardigan once. I felt strange (not to mention hot). It wasn't pleasant at all.
  5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

ooh, I forgot to say that I hide mine using a tubi grip support bandage so I wear short sleeves, but cover that arm and tell people I hurt it.

Works a treat.
  6. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Haha me too, Scum. I think they look much better than a typical 'bandage'. Guess it wouldn't work too well if both arms were cut though. :mellow:
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

yeh, soooooooo easily explainable, but you are right, and that is why I keep myself to one arm, or my legs.

a tubi grip can just be so easily explained, is 'normal' and causes not much hassle at all.

*worships tubi grip*
  8. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I wear hoodies every day. In Florida. I feel like a freak, everyone else is in tank tops and short sleeves, and there's me in a jacket, but I normally wear a tiny strap thing and tell everyone I'm dress code and can't take the jacket off...Works normally.
  9. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

i used to use a grip support bandage, but my scars itch WAY too much and it just made me really miserable all day.

i think i might jst continue wearin long sleeves, until i get the confidence to not give a shit. some days i dont care. but when i have a lot of work to do at college, id rather not be worrying about my arm.

thankyou for all your replies.

take care everyone
  10. blade

blade Well-Known Member

i just hide them i dont use the wrist that has sacrs on them. ive got used to using one arm for things.
  11. Fluffy

Fluffy Well-Known Member

The camouflage make-up can take some practise to look professional, but it is very effective. For people in the UK, a service can be accessed through the Red Cross whereby you have an appt with a skin camouflage practitioner who will colour-match for you and show you how to apply the make-up. They are extremely discreet and professional and will see anyone with scarring, regardless of the reason for the scarring, including self harm. The only prerequisite is that the injuries are fully healed. Other oprions are to get a 'tester kit' with lotsof different colours and have a go yourself - the make-up is called Dermablend, and again for those in the UK, a tester kit is available in the Argos catalogue (especially good for a one-off e.g. a big event / specific occasion to attend) but once you know which colourings match you, larger tubs of individual colours can be bought from Foxes in Covent Garden, London (theatrical makeup store) and they can also be bought as mail-order from their website.

Personally I think it is ok for us to wear our skin however we want to in the summer - there is no right or wrong, it is personal preference. If you have the confidence to wear short sleeves and want to, then go for it. Equally if you feel better covering up, that's ok too. Personally I tend to go for a half-way house, it sort of depends on the day and how robust I'm feeling - so I can do any combination of sleeves, no sleeves, camouflage make-up... But in the main I do tend to cover up simply because I feel more comfortable and confident that way. There are a lot of long-sleeved cotton shirts / tops out there these days which don't necessarily look so out of place on hot days as having to wear a jumper, and they're a heck of a lot cooler as well!
  12. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

I wear long sleeves always, but I think it's up to you, how comfortable you feel showing scars. People are always going to stare a bit, I guess, it's just how comfortable you are with that, depending on the company you're in etc.
  13. //x/forgottonemo/x//

//x/forgottonemo/x// Well-Known Member

most the time i hide mine...but sometimes when its too hot and bracelts just make the scars itch i just wear a tshirt & put a plaster over them & nobody notices..
    you could wear tshirts but wear bracelets/wristbands but wristbands can make you feel hot too..or i guess you could wear those long sleeved tops that are thin so they arent too hot in summer...make-up's prob best though.. or those long sleeved tops that on the arm part are kinda half see through....but not enough that you could see scars
  14. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

I wear 2 or 3 sweaters in the winter so I can just walk around with a sweater in the summer. And its actually pretty cool, when you wear a big sweater, but doesnt look so good. My mom called me a drifter last year >.<
  15. Jaya

Jaya New Member

i never cover mine, i wear whatever i want. i just tend to perhaps place my arm in a different position or whatever to cover some more noticeable scars.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.