Scars

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Lexicon, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexicon

Lexicon Well-Known Member

Heya.

Take a gander at the suicide and eating disorders section for a basic overview of my problems, but basically I'm 17, have had bulimia for the last 7 years, have attempted suicide twice aged 12 and have self-harmed in the intermittent years.

Sooo. My main question here is covering scars?! I have some nasty ones from one of my suicide attempts (god i hate writing things like that) and some from other incidents. I don't really know what to do about it, and I've made do in the last few years through concealer etc and I've always harmed in non-obvious places, so it's not much of a problem. I just want to know if there's any more permanent way of removing them?

Thanks for reading,

Lex.

2. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I believe there are surgeries and things. Typically, people just cover them up.

3. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

I know there is plastic surgery you can get to remove them. But that's in an extreme case if you really want them gone...

People just cover them up or let their flags fly. I for one let the ones on my arm go just because there light at this point, and the bright red ones that are permanent I just cop up to a pricker bush or something of that nature.

The one's on my leg are gunna' be there for the rest of my life, they required stitches when I didn't get them so they healed about a CM in width and inches long. Purple on cold days and bright bright red on every other one. They fade a little, but they will always show.

Just get used to them. Honestly, a lot of people are fucking cowards when it comes to saying something. If someone does, it's usually the question of how you got them. So just have a good "reason" ready. Just like you would with normal self harm.

4. Lexicon

Lexicon Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your help. I suppose plastic surgery is a touch on the extreme side.. I'm just going to have to get used to them and cover them up best I can, like you say. It's annoying because they're at the tops of my thighs, so excuses are a bit of a pain. On the other hand, people don't often see them... Ah well. More skulking in changing room toilets and never wearing short skirts here we come.

Lex

5. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I think it can depend on the type of scarring that you have, and the age of it. I wish that I could afford plastic surgery, to be honest. But that's just not something most people can afford.

I have tried Mederma cream before - some say it works, or worked for them. But from what I've heard it was mainly small cuts or scratches that it worked really well on, as well as done recently after it's healed. It isn't the cheapest stuff, and not the best in my opinion - it did nothing for me, and a tiny tube was about $18, and I'd go through a tube once a week. After a couple months I noticed no difference.

I tried getting Vit E in the gel capsules and popping them and rubbing them on my scars, but there was so much scar tissue and most were very deep that I saw no difference.

However, some say over several months that has helped some. I tried a couple other creams that didn't help, but I can't remember what they are called. I did use Bio Oil and out of everything, it helped the most, but it doesn't work really fast - over about 4 months I noticed some of my scars felt smoother (I had some that had a puffy bubbled out look, and others that felt like there was a huge gap with skin that grew over it), it also took some of the color out of some of my scars - it seemed to work better on the areas that were newer and had less scar tissue - as some of my scars have lots of scar tissue, which was from self harming over scars to reduce areas with scars, but the areas started having trouble healing with scar over scar. Those are harder to work with.

But, the best I can advise at this point would be Bio Oil - I can get a fairly decent sized bottle like 5 fl oz for about $10, and it's thin and you don't have to use thick layers, so it'd last you awhile for sure. But, I have no idea of the types of scarring you have, so I don't know for sure what'd be the best option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.