Schizoaffective disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ruby, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Does anybody else have this debilitating condition?
  2. missykate

missykate Well-Known Member

3. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

Like i've mentioned on the schizophrenia thread, I too have schizoaffective and it's REALLY hard to find ANY infromation on it.
  4. missykate

missykate Well-Known Member

I have noticed that it is hard to find information as well. I do not know how to take this. I am all alone with it and my friends don't know how to take it either. My best friend dosen't even try to understand he just thinks I make it up. Don't you just wish life was easier? Do you find that problems seem to seek you out?
  5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of it before I was diagnosed with it. It's basically a mixture of a mood disorder (depression and/or mania) and a psychosis.
  6. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

Yes. It's a cancer of the mind.
  7. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

This is what my new doctors diagnosed me with. I'm on Risperdal now. I have the unipolar depression part of the mood disorder. I'm not hearing God screaming at me, knock on wood, and I hope the medicine continues to work. I'm still getting the tactile sensations, though, and I'm depressed as hell. It really is difficult to find any information on schizoaffective.
  8. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I suppose I'd fall into that term yes. The last time an eating disorder psychologist wrote a report on me he said I was "a complex person with complex needs" :laugh: although trauma wasn't mentioned no, regardless of my horrible childhood and social circumstances. I have, according to him, a "borderline type personality disorder" (which means I'm treated like a difficult child) and/or "schizoaffective"....(which means I'm expected to take antipsychotics).
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  9. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I'd rather have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, because at least that's easier to make sense of. I mean, is schizoaffective more of a mood disorder or a psychotic disorder?

I've been on both antidepressants and antipsychotics for four years now and nobody mentions taking me off them. I have a feeling that i'm going to be prescribed them for a very long time. :wink:
  10. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

My ex husband had that, his doctor explained it to me as a mix of Schizophrenia and Bipolar. It can be very complicated. Info is available but it tends to usually be fairly limited.
  11. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I wanted to revive this old thread because I think I have have schizoaffective disorder and according to my mother (whos in the mental health field) says she would agree (as she was the one who brought it up to me so I researched it).

*Elevated or depressed mood.
    *Poor temper controll.
    *Changes in energy, eating, and sleeping patterns.
    *loss of concern for hygiene.
    *Disorganized speech...

Those are all me... Should I bring this up with my new doctor when I see her next week?
  12. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

If you fit a lot of the symptoms for it I think it would be a good idea to bring it up with your doctor. :smile:
  13. ThoseEmptyWalls

Will I need to go thur a hole new diagnosis? I dont want to..The last one took over six hours to complete..The one before that took around four hours..They were both fairly recent..The oldest of the newer two being a bit over a year old and the other being just a few months old...
  14. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I don't know for sure but probably. But I would think it'd be worth it if you are going to find out for sure what it is you have and get the proper medication?
  15. ThoseEmptyWalls

I was wondering if any of those here with schizoaffective disoreder could share some of their symptons with me and help me with what to talk to my doctor about?
  16. RosiePosie

RosiePosie Member

I was mis-diagnosed that and later found I had DP/DR. It's very opposite of that in fact, but it still is a "cancer of the mind" as you call it.
    I would like to learn more about it though just because I'd like to know why they labeled me as being so.
    anyways good luck, we are all out there with horrible problems, and just as you think you have it worse then anyone, all of us think that exact same thing.
    Remember that, it might help you ;)
  17. ThoseEmptyWalls

Yes, I keep telling myself that and my Grandma sees it as her job to remind me of that often as well.. It doesnt help really.. I just get pissed off that theres the huge group of people that have it better then me..
  18. RosiePosie

RosiePosie Member

Yeah I get the same way, too.
    Just remember that there's someone with the EXACT same illness you have.
    You aren't alone in that.
    I saw an MTV program tonight about a kid with it.
    It is hard.
    It was sad.
    I'm not discounting your pain.
    But I, too, have a mental illness and I really really feel for people that suffer.
  19. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

As do I. Awful disorder it is.
  20. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

It's like having schizophrenia and depression. And it's difficult to treat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.