Schizoid Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by neonjin, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neonjin

neonjin Member

This basically sums me up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid

Anybody else out there that can relate? If you read this article, I would say that I probably fall under the category of "Secret schizoid" because I can be quite social when I feel obligated to, but it makes me really uncomfortable, and I typically just want to get away the whole time.

2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

My ex certainly identified with it a lot. But she said that when we were together, I changed her a lot, socially..meaning I made her thaw. I thought I had SPD when I was severely anorexic but seeing as I had that effect, maybe not? :dunno:

I fear close relationships a lot, rather than not wanting them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  3. neonjin

neonjin Member

Then you probably merely have an avoidant personality disorder. It's similar to schizoid but it's different. The schizoid primarily wants to be left alone and stay in his own little world, while the avoidant type may ACT the same way but secretly wants all of those social things that they are too afraid to go after.

4. Sonoran

Sonoran Active Member

My psychologist noticed that I display some symptoms similar to Schizoid Personality Disorder; though, not enough to warrant a diagnosis of SPD. I find little pleasure in social situations, have few close relationships (two people), and prefer solitary activities. My psychologist was mainly concerned with my lack of desire to form social bonds with others, but she understands that I am not distressed in regard to my social life (or lack of it).

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't have avoidant personality disorder. I most probably have an avoidant attachment disorder tho' linked to why I developed DID, (which I think is getting better by itself :dunno:), but not the PD.

Do you see yourself as having a problem or are you happy with how things are?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  6. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

i can be alone, but never lonely. I don't need to hang around people to be happy and i don't consider this Schizoid disorder at all. I focus on my hobby and talents.
    however, when i focus on reaching out to lonely people (e.g visiting a person in an elderly home care), i find that i am not feeling nervous anymore being around people.

7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I've read a lot about it and I think I may have this. I don't get lonely, and I don't really care about having friends. I do have emotions, but I feel numb a lot and I'm strangely blank in some situations, where a normal person would feel strongly. I don't know though.

8. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

It sounds a lot like me. But I tend to try and look for answers :laugh:. It could be me? I wouldn't really know :tongue:, maybe I'll know if I end up getting evaluated by a doc sometime in the future. :dunno:

Edit: Wow..I read more of that article and it scares me how close it reminds me of me :O

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  9. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

I thought I was a schizoid for a while, but I'm just avoidant thanks to anxiety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.