Schizophrenia sites please (firsthand).

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Decode, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Its been bothering me. I've been looking at schizophrenic sites and all i seem to find is the list of symtoms. If you have or know of any sites with first hand experiences of symtoms please post, much appreciated.

I guess a lot of you will not want to share but if you don't mind please let me know what where you symtoms how did you know/find out. Thanks.
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Schizophrenia is a list of a number of symptoms. I've been diagnosed with this in the past as well as bipolar; right now I have "transient and acute psychotic disorder" :laugh: but I know I have DID and CPTSD :tongue:. Psychs don't really want to understand metaphors and severe trauma nor are they interested...

It's very vague. I've liked this site for years

I'd say for years I was "stuck" in a borderline tertiary place mainly because I wasn't allowed to process my past and present (all abusive situations) with terrible people around me. The key here was a body-mind split in terms of dissociation, when I mean dissociated- the underlying thing was anxiety and fear. Once I felt safe, I could process safely. I'm in a much happier place at the moment (primary according to that site) :smile:

It really depends on who you talk to. From my experience, therapists have a very different outlook on 'schizophrenia' than psychiatrists and are willing to work below the surface if the person is willing to explore what's going on for them.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
  3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply plates, i will look at what you have put.
  4. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I was looking for sites like that too since I was recently diagnosed with it, I found some interviews with schizophrenics on youtube that were on dr. phil and oprah which I found pretty helpful, just putting that out there too :p I really do wish there was a larger variety of websites, though. Website after website definitely starts looking the same after a while.

How I knew I had it - it didn't really instantly hit me, I kind of started sloping into it. I have had depression and anxiety as well, but I started out with food problems basically. I was starting to think that what my mom was cooking for me was contaminated, that it would poison me, i'd have to wash it several times, then it got to the point where i believed that there were tracking devices in the boxes of macaroni and what not. I also had impulses to check my bunny and make sure it's still buried where I buried it, making sure the doors were locked, and that somebody was constantly stalking me and trying to hurt me. Sometimes I also start having weird hallicinations/dreams randomly and it doesn't go away until I sleep and wake up the next day. Really scary stuff. I don't have any multiple personalities ( which schizophrenia is usually wrongly interchanged with all the time), but I do hear something that sounds like me in my head but isn't me. I thought it was my conscious but come to find out, your conscious doesn't actually physically talk to you.. Boy was I stupid. I constantly have fights with it all the time, sometimes it makes me want to feel safe, sometimes it calls me names, sometimes it tells me I should die. They put me on risperdal though, which helped greatly until I had an allergic reaction and instantly got taken off of it, which made all of my symptoms instantly come back, then I had to go on seroquel, which is finally working and I don't have problems as much as I did before - probably will get better when my dosage is up. I also want to say, there is more than one type of schizophrenia. I happen to have the Paranoid Subtype, but there is also disorganized, catatonic, a combination of all of it, or something else. I never thought I would have had it until I was in the psych hospital and the psychiatrist told me, but I did know that something just wasn't right with me and I was never like this when I was younger.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yeah they do. I love that site.
  6. poison

poison Well-Known Member

kind of late with this response, but without a doubt, please check out it is an indepth look into every facet of the schizophrenia experience. the author recalls his prodrome experiences and describes them at length. his wording is terse and intelligent. really eye opening website, imo.

i should take time to note that if you think you're developing schizophrenia, you're probably not. insane people don't think they're insane - in the same vein that if you are sane and think you are insane, you're wrong.
  7. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

rianneeex3: That bit about the voice i have the same. I didn't see your edited version until now, thank you.

I checked out that site was one of the better ones i have seen. Thanks.
    I did read most peope are not aware they are having symptoms, but stupidly i had looked and saw i had some. I know i have a higher chance of getting it and so was just trying to clear my mind.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.