Schizophrenic child

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Crue-K, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I am against labeling children with a mental illness as it will be a burden whilst growing up and it will most definately be used for bullying. One of my friends emailed me the link below about a child in the US who has been labeled as a schizophrenic. Even though it is not the norm to assign a mental illlness to pre-pubescent children, it seems in this article the girl suffers quite badly.

Schizophrenic child
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

the article upsets me because nobody will ever pay attention to the people around her, her family/parenting and her extreme anxiety and dissociation, and her being punished for having imaginary companions (who might be internalised psychs/people around who she feels terrified of or fantasies that help her). i wrote a lot but i just can't be bothered. she's never gonna see a therapist who talks to her because everyone around her is nodding and saying yup, "schizophrenic child". i had imaginary companions too, i was angry and developed an ED, couldn't eat, because i internalised, and i was not drugged up/incarcerated like she is at such a young age which i think, is where the true horror is as those drugs are potent and had fucked up my insides taking them for 8 months.

there isn't a neurological test for hallucinations/schizophrenia is there? why is the neurologist being quoted? children naturally have strong imaginations so their 'symptoms' will appear 'severe'. the article is weak and makes me angry and powerless to read that this is happening to a child and nobody is challenging it.

who is unwell here? really. this article reminds me of my life post 2003 till 2006 and it's only recently i've challenged what had happened to me with psychiatrists (who cover their backs and say they "don't want to medicate") and it's fucking grotesque to read stories like this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  3. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Very sad.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I thought children could not be diagnosed with a mental illness that young. How the hell do they know it is not autism something else it is just not right their minds are still changing developing they should not be given psychotic medication at that age. who the hell is the doctor doing this god. This is truly sick
  5. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I've known about this for a while. It's extremely upsetting. The father is obviously burned out and over the edge. He admits to a history of not only abuse to his wife and child, but being under investigation for other abuses before. What's really upsetting is the amount of people who are supporting him. I'm terrified for that child who is being abused in so many different (and some legal) ways. I'm appalled by people who continue to support his behaviour. This man is begging for help, and he needs it, but that child needs it more.
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

if what you say is true, i am completely unsurprised.

every single system seems to support what is going on here, including the medical one. dosing a child up with APs and saying 'she is ill' while the people in power get away with writing articles like that that mask the inappropriateness of treatment and possible abuse and mistreatment from parents. the child is 6 and can't stick up for herself- so people are using her as a scapegoat while the father and psych system can do wtf they like to her 'because it's schizophrenia and she's so young ABC and so is a good media focus'.

i loved the "i'm empathetic with rats"

and the next paragraph talks about how the doctors are trying a new med :dry:. how many children have imaginary playmates? how many adults live in socially acceptable fantasies (of which the article is one) and abusers/doctors get away with this BS? the difference here is that she's anxious and self harming, tried to jump out the window and her 'delusions' have a persecutory nature, which is all completely understandable looking at what she's in.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Oh my god.... In Sweden and the rest of the EU it's ILLEGAL to give children and adolescents such a diagnosis (schizophrenia, borderline and so on). If a doctor do that, then his licence is off.
    That's because the brain isn't developed enough to give evidence for such a thing at that age.
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yeah i saw this documentary about 'bipolar disorder' a few years back, and these couple of boys around 14 yrs old in america was diagnosed/being treated as bipolar - the sole reason was that they had tantrums, and the amount of meds they were on really shocked me. and the only reason why they were on those medications and got a diagnoses of bipolar was because they threw great angry fits and broke a few chairs.
  9. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I've seen this as well, if I remember right, both the kids were medicated to the hilt and the mum made a big deal to the cameras how many meds they were on.
  10. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

That's pretty much what this father is doing here. It reminds me of someone trying to make a fortune or some kind of perverted fame off of his daughter's pain and suffering. Its sick.
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yeah that's the one. what's his name, the one that advertises twinings? stephen fry. i liked how he called bipolar 'bipolarism', i never heard it being called that before :biggrin:. i'm unused to seeing people take so much medication as with me, in the past it's been a real struggle for them to make me take one pill a day.

and if, like you say, so many people are supporting him, that's where the real sickness is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.