School 'Snow days'

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Izziebabystar, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

Why does the uk feel the need to have snow days when i snows
    i mean come on whats the point
    do we realy think there nessisary
    or do you think that children are missing out on there education.

im 17 and im at college i usual go in tues-fri
    tues + weds were so called 'snowdays'
    thurs we went in
    and now today (fri)
    is another stupid snow day
    whats the point
    ive missed out 4 important lectures that wont be resceduald
    the uk system is a shambles
    why stop everything for some poxy snow
    i mean in russia it was -15 C and they still kept going

2. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

Where I'm from stops the snow mainly because we're on hills, and having that kind of traffic results in a lot of damage.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Today, there was a "severe cold warning" in Toronto - it was -16C and -20C with windchill.

Where I'm from, Edmonton, "severe cold" would be when it's -38C, -52C with windchill... but we wouldn't get any sort of warning, since it's just winter!

But, snowy, icy, crappy roads are a huge safety risk. It's better to miss a lecture than die in a horrible accident, no?

4. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Russia and places like that are geared up to snowy conditions and we aren't cos we get it badly so rarely. It doesn't make economic sense to invest in an infrastructure prepared for snow which could sit idly by for years and years (after all they said it was 18yrs since it was so bad). And as to closing schools and colleges... if the staff are unable to get there (and many live outside of the area in which they teach) then you can't open can you!?

5. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I wish the working world -- jerking world as I call it -- got snow days.

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I love snow days. They are the best. It's such a plesant surprise.

7. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

8. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

bloody hell our once great countries gone soft, why not get out and walk! or if its snowing set off sooner so you can take your time on dangerous roads..... i get snowed in here but i still manage, when you got nigh on 300 birds depending on you the snow doesnt stop you!

9. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

You guys should stop being so selfish, we could really use your water in California and Mexico :tongue:

10. reddragon2410

reddragon2410 Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, I haven't had a snow day off ever. We never get enough snow. All the reports saying "Lancashire hit by even more snow forcing more school closures". We had about a 1/2 inch of snow on monday/tuesday. We only ever get "lots of rain days" off.

11. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Here in New England we get tons off snow days. Had over a week off just before Christmas.

12. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

We're useless when it comes to snow, the UK comes to a TOTAL standstill I bet other countries look at us and think, "you bunch of wimps!!". Apparently 1 in 5 called in work saying they couldn't turn up for work due to snow, I wasn't one of them 20% I went to work regardless. I was watching a feature on the news about whether it is REALLY needed to close the schools because in some places, the snow wasn't that bad. I guess it's just a way to cover their own asses and anyway, teachers get paid if school is cancelled so it's a day off them them also. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.