School

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by aoeu, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

What a mess.

I just transferred universities from the University of Alberta to the University of Toronto, taking mechanical engineering in both faculties. I am taking Materials Science, Advanced Mathematics, Engineering Economics, History of Modern Technology, and History of Medicine this semester. I've taken an exact copy of Advanced Math before, and a very similar course to Materials Science. I'm skipping classes constantly - I only regularly attend the history classes. I believe I bombed the Materials Science midterm [caught me way out of left-field with the focus], and I think I did quite well on both Engineering Economics and Advanced Math [precisely, 95% with an average of 77%], and decently well on History of Modern Technology.

I don't know what's going to happen. I've never gone into an exam before not knowing exactly what I was doing... This is completely unfamiliar territory. I'm planning to let my grades drop, but I'd like at least a B average. I'm also planning to transfer to prosthetics after this year, so I'm not looking ahead to graduate. This might be a huge mistake - especially considering that a formal requirement for that program is an undergraduate degree. However, I'm assured by all the prosthetists I've spoken to that they'll let me write their entrance exam for sure. If I write the exam, I think I'll get in.

My History of Medicine class has a 10 page research paper worth 40% of its grade due the Tuesday after next. I have started on it [several false starts so far] but I don't think I can do it. I don't know how to research, I don't know how to write. This upcoming Monday is the drop deadline for the course, after which I will suffer an academic penalty if I don't do well. I would like to stick it through. I would like to write this paper... But I might be beating myself up and dropping my grades to accomplish something for no reason other than to say that I did.

I dunno... This is nothing like my university experiences so far. I've always been a hard-working, rarely skipping keener with straight A's.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2008
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi and know that there are many of us who did not excel undergrad and now do quite well...that aside, is there anything that is causing stress now that did not affect you before??? hope you sort out what is going on and do so with a lot of self compassion...big hugs, J

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh, certainly. Sarah and Lady Dama, the two people keeping me sane, have disappeared from my life, and I'm badly suicidal. Last semester it was more manageable because there was a project to keep my mind on. And, I've never taken any humanities course before. This is the first essay of university, and I think the third overall. I think this course may just be too much for me.

I'm also very frustrated by the transfer credit appeal failure. I'm taking courses that I have taken before, and the accounting course is intuitively simple. That's why I'm skipping, and skipping leads to general slacking, so I can't do anything.

I think I just need to drop the History of Medicine course. I had a feeling I was in over my head when the prof made very clear that this was a 300 level history course on the first day. I figured I could manage it.

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

There is no shame in setting doable limits...if you feel it is best, drop the course and do your best in the others...and spend some of the other time doing things you might enjoy and activities during which you will meet ppl at your new uni...all the best, J

5. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

Did you just make this topic to show off how clever you are?

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly it.

On another note, I decided to drop the history course. Thank you, Sadeyes.

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I think dropping it was a good idea, because its better to have fewer courses and do well in them than to take on too many courses and do poorly in them. Also, you won't be suffering an academic penalty, which is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.