Scientific vs emotional: how to help someone?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Confused Brother, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, my sister is depressed.

Our family doctor suggested she see a psychiatrist. She now sees a variety of "experts".

I dont know anything about peoples emotions, especially girls, but what "treatment and support" she is getting does not seem like it is what she needs.

She is heavily medicated.

She is told how serious her problem is. Not discouraged from being delinquent (skipping school, verbally/physically assaulting people etc) because apparently she cant help it. And in my opinion, basicly just told she is a freak.

Today something happened that crossed the line. Her psychiatrist said to our mother, in front of my sister, to lock up all pills and sharp knives. And added "we dont want to have this conversation post-mortem".

I know you arent supposed to ignore someones depression and hope it goes away, but I cant imagine telling someone you expect them to try to end their life is a good thing.

I tried to convince my parents to get a second opinion about how to deal with the situation. Ironically since Im an atheist, I thought maybe someone religious might share my apprehension at pill-popping and alienating someone. And also share my belief that supplying a friendly environment and endowing someone with trust and respect is a powerful thing.

So Im wondering, am I making the fatal mistake so many family members of suicide victims make? Or should I lean on my parents to question some of the things the "experts" say?

A little off topic, when adolescents are faced with authority they rebel, but when they are given responsibility they rise to the challenge. Gambling someones life on this is risky but at the very least you could be tactful about things. Openly demonstrating your lack of trust for a young person is a terrible thing.
  2. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

The doctor doesn’t sound too good; I’d have a conversation with your parents about changing the doctor if I were you. Tell them that you don’t think dosing her up is helping and that she needs emotional help dealing with her issues. There are good doctors out there; it’s just a case of finding them. Is she receiving any counselling?
  3. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

Has the family sat down with her and discussed the situation? Maybe you could collectively form an action plan, definitely involving some therapy and medication, but also things like family activities or at least things which will build connections and reassure her she isn't alone.

With such a thoughtful, caring brother I imagine she will be fine.

Best wishes
  4. Yeah, she sees a councilor too.

My family isnt poor so she is seeing what is apparently the best available people in the city.

So when i criticize them obviously my parents just say well weve got the best of the best already, what more can we do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.