Scratching, cutting....

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Sadkeekei, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadkeekei

Sadkeekei New Member

I have had anxiety and depression for a while and sometimes when it won't go away I start to do things to "hurt" myself. I will scratch myself really hard or use an box cutting type thing to more scratch myself than cut myself. I take certain medication for panic attacks and they make me so tired and do not solve the problem long term. Not that the self harming does either, but I find that it gives makes me feel better fast. Is this how it starts? Right now I do not feel like I would ever cut myself really bad, but I am scared.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You are starting down a path of coping in a way that will only get worse hun
    Instead call your doctor talk to him or her and get some therapy to help you deal with this inner pain in a positive way okay The scars you leave will never fade hun please reach out and get some help hugs
  3. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Hey hun. As was said, you are heading down that path. Try to find a different way of coping before it gets worst. Have you tried journaling, going for walks or talking to friends? I find that helps when I'm anxious and feel like self-harming. Talking to a counsellor can also be helpful.
    Be safe
  4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

It starts with scratching. Or rather, I started with scratching, and I'd justify it in my head because I thought that scratching isn't cutting. I.e., I thought that scratching wasn't so bad. You think that you'll never go there with regards to cutting but to be honest, you do in the end. Because what happens is that the scratches do start to get deeper, to the point where they're not 'scratches' but not quite 'cuts' and then it just kind of spirals.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but i've been harming myself on and off for 6 or so years now. I can't make you stop but really this is not the way to go. I hope you reconsider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.