screw the sun

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ragermoon, Aug 4, 2016.

1. ragermoon

ragermoon Active Member

Is it unnatural to hate the light? I've always hated overhead lights, and these days I get severely disappointed when I open my blinds in the morning and see that the sun is out, even though it's summer and I live in the midwest so I should expect it. I wish it would rain, storm or at least be dark and cloudy, every day.
    This seems unnatural considering the sun is one's main source of vitamin D, which is supposed to help boost your mood. Wouldn't my body crave that? I've heard that the rainy state of Washington has the highest suicide rate, presumably because of the consistent lack of sun.
    Then again, I've always been a night owl, and I am usually at my worst when spring starts to roll back around. Maybe I feel like shit because I can't relate to the warm, happy fresh-start season like everyone else seems to. Or maybe I'm just a vampire. Who knows.

2. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Since my viral infection in 2008, I am now light sensitive. I hate electric light, especially office type light from difusers. Because my brain interprets the signals it gets from my eyes and body in delay, my worst type of day is a sunny, windy day, it plays havoc with my system and my balance is poor in those conditions. I love being outdoors, but I have darkened glasses on constantly, so the world doesn't look the same to me as it does to most people.

3. Flaxney

Flaxney Well-Known Member

Can you obtain polarised lenses? Perhaps those would help. Also sunlight causes skin cancer and possibly cataracts. So your aversion isn't that irrational.

4. ragermoon

ragermoon Active Member

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I love the outdoors as well but find it much harder to enjoy it when it's bright and windy. I think the only way I'll ever be able to handle all of the elements with grace is if I become a rock.

5. ragermoon

ragermoon Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Darkened glasses/sunglasses do help, but for some reason just being in direct sunlight weighs me down. I'd carry an umbrella if I knew people wouldn't stare and ask me what I'm doing. Lol

6. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Have you experimented with lumens or different color lights? Good luck. I'm the one who hates the dark. I have a light around me even when I sleep. I have 7 lamps in my bedroom alone and that does not include the empty fish tank light that's currently not being used, the higher the lumen is the better satisfied I am from the light

7. ragermoon

ragermoon Active Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I have many colored lamps in my room as well. It's really just the big, bright lights that overwhelm me- and unfortunately I can't change the luminosity of the sun.:cool:

8. DrownedFishOnFire

Yeah have you talked to an eye doctor or neurologist to rule out something that could cause that?

9. ragermoon

ragermoon Active Member

I have really bad vision and have always been light sensitive (my nearly white eye color doesn't help) my eye doctor knows this but hasn't said much besides to wear my sunglasses/darkened lenses. Oh well. Maybe I'll move to Washington. :D

10. DrownedFishOnFire

Good idea. Did the Cullens do the same? Live in Washington?