Seasonal Affect Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by BelovedDreamer, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BelovedDreamer

BelovedDreamer Well-Known Member

So, this time of year always seems to be hard for me to weather (no pun intended). The swing into winter (I live in an area with four seasons and looong cold winters) and the stress of finals add up to a minefield of depression triggers. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions from other people who deal with Seasonal Affect issues as to ways to fight the problem. Unfortunately I have a limited budget and limited free time (college student on heavy financial aid), so a trip to the Bahamas for two weeks isn't an option. My therapist suggested going tanning occasionally, because she thought one of those lamp-thingys would be too expensive. I'm trying to eat more vegetables (esp. the green leafy ones) and to get sleep, but the cold crappy weather is still leaving me in the dumps. I used to love winter and snow, and I miss the days when I looked forward to the season instead of fearing it. Help?

2. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

To help Seasonal Affective disorder, you really just need to make simple and small life style changes. Tanning lamps aren't really a substitute for regular exposure to U.V Rays sadly, but I'm sure it's worth a try.
    Like your doing eat more vegetables,cut down on alcohol or recreational drugs and drink lots of water. Basically just take care of yourself.
    Since you are in college and low on cash it may be hard to do but keeping your stress levels in check because around the wintertime is when school gets stressful and stress feeds into depression and depression feeds into stress. So maybe try some stress management stuff like deep breathing excercises, meditation,etc.. You may not have the time but try and make the time to just get an hour or two to relax.
    Getting out in the sun is another important one because part of what causes seasonal affective disorder is the lack of sunlight so keep your blinds open, take walks in the sunshine, even sit by a window when you are doing your homework.
    Also exercising is supposed to help too going for walks like i mentioned before, or doing sit ups, A lot of places like YMCA have cheap cheap classes for yoga, or open swimming times, even aerobics can be fun but I guess the point is to keep yourself up and moving.
    Also try and hang out with friends and keep social even though you may feel like shutting down and not talking to anyone. It doesn't make it any easier.

I hoped I wasn't rambling too much but if you ever need to talk pm me :hug:

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I agree with the exercise. Try running or walking during mid-late afternoon. It can be exhilerating and beautiful!

Also, maybe adjust your internal clock. Since it gets light later now, set your alarm later (around dawn, maybe a little later, depending on your needs) and then you will be tired when it becomes dark. Your body's clock should adjust...if not, try talking to your doc about sleeping pills. Ambien is awesome. You don't need to be tired at all and it will pass you out.

Basically, your body is out-of-whack and it's totally depressing. So if you can adjust your time-line a bit and use sleeping pills to get you to sleep when you need it, you will feel better and your body won't be so mixed-up.

True, this will not totally fix Winter depression, but it will help a LOT.

Good luck...I feel your pain.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.