Seasoned, functional depressed person & Tolle fan

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by draws, Sep 9, 2016.

1. draws

draws Active Member

Hello all, and I'm so glad this forum is here for us all.

I've had depression and suicidal thoughts for decades, since I was a kid. It's usually under control, especially because I have 2 kids, and I just wouldn't off myself because of how it would wreck them.

But hitting perimenopause has unleashed a new level of unhappy that I can't always keep on top of. I've had some success with hormone cream and acupuncture (A skilled acupuncturist can truly keep the depression under control... I wish I could go every week!!) I'm very fortunate in a lot of ways, really high functioning, but lately I'm unproductive so often that it scares me, and makes life even more difficult.

I'm looking for other "seasoned", busy, depressed persons who can share strategies. (I have so many questions I want to ask all the time, but it's usually better to just not think about stuff.)

Especially looking for Ekhardt Tolle followers.

2. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Hi Draws,

I'm in perimenopause as well. My hormones are mostly under control because I still take a birth control pill with a mild hormone release which helps me a lot. The night sweats are horrid though, can't stand those.

I manage my depression in a natural way though it sometimes gets the better of me. I can't say I'm a busy or seasoned person, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :)
    draws likes this.
  3. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Welcome to the forum :)
    draws likes this.
  4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I am a seasoned post-menopausal beast. Boy do I remember the sweats. Kept a towel at work to sop things up! My hair fell out, I had severe shakes. It really was the pits, but let me assure you, there is life after menopause. You will miss the hormones in some ways, but rejoice that they are gone in others.
    My wars are with anxiety, depression, poor health, crappy self esteem and a lack of money. I find myself most comfortable when I am alone in my home. None of the stress that dealing with people can bring. But reading, TV and audio tapes help keep the blues away. I am currently listening to a audio tape program that is supposed to help with anxiety. Its about a 120 day program. And is a lot cheaper then a doctor! Sorry, but I have not heard of Eckhardt Tolle.
    draws likes this.
  5. draws

draws Active Member

I have more loneliness than anxiety, so although, like you, being alone is less stressful and more comfortable, it doesn't take long before I start to collapse under the terrible crushing feeling of loneliness. Most of us have conundrums like this I suppose. This is my beef with our society: it's so hard out there. There aren't enough nice quiet slow places.

We need a weekend spa getaway for depressed poor people. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2016
    Frances M likes this.
  6. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I felt the exact same way. Actually I still feel that society is horrible and I want nothing to do with it. Sometimes our circumstances force us to stay in a situation we don't like...but I hope that somehow you can find a way to be in a slow, quiet place. It took me many years but I slowly moved away from the city, then to the suburbs, then the outskirts, now I'm in a quiet mountain village that I STILL find is too busy for my liking! There are only 800 residents here, spread out all over the village and the outskirts, but still...too many people about. My next step, which is about 3 years away, is to buy a small, cheap fixer-upper property in an isolated area in the woods and live out the rest of my life as a hermit.

I like the idea of the spa though! :)
    SillyOldBear and draws like this.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi and welcome to SF. I hope you find what you need here. We are all here to help each other, I hope you benefit from being on here :)
    draws likes this.