Secret's out: Why Women Really Have SEX

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Godsdrummer, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

The Daily Telegraph
    September 08, 2009 12:00am

FOR every woman expecting the earth to move, there are two with more practical motives.

From relieving boredom, to keeping the peace or curing a headache, women have sex for many reasons but romance and passion come rather low on the list, a new book has revealed.

One woman even admitted to having sex just so her husband would put the rubbish out.

"Research has shown most men find most women at least somewhat sexually attractive, whereas most women do not find most men sexually attractive at all," Why Women Have Sex authors Cindy Meston and David Buss said.

Having apparently discounted physical attraction, the 1000 women interviewed by the Texas University professors gave a huge range of reasons for sleeping with a man.

One said she did it for a spiritual experience, proclaiming: "It's the closest thing to God."

But mostly the explanations were far more mundane, with 84 per cent admitting to having sex just to ensure a quiet life or to bargain for household chores. One woman said: "I have sex to relieve the boredom because it's easier than fighting. Plus it gives me something to do."

While it may not come as welcome news, some women have sex out of sympathy, with one admitting: "I slept with a couple of guys because I felt sorry for them."

But many have more selfish motives, with financial or material rewards a major factor.

In one survey of students, nearly one in 10 women admitted to "having sex for presents". Others said: "He bought me a nice dinner", "he spent a lot of money on me early on", "he showed me he had an extravagant lifestyle".

And rather than love or romance, for many women sex is just about fun.
    Six in 10 university students said they slept with a male friend who was not their boyfriend.

"Life is too damn short to be waiting four years to have sex again," one said.

2. Menchi

Menchi Well-Known Member

doesn't fucking surprise me in the least :(

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I thought it was because of hormones :)

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

So basically most women are prostitutes.

5. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

well thats um... interesting?

6. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I disagree with most of the statements in the original post, personally. :dunno: All woman are different.

8. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Isn't it all just hormones at the end of the day? I mean you always have to give a reason why you had sex with someone.. but at the end of the day the hormones have to be there. I don't think I have sex for typical guy reasons :unsure:

9. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

I really disagree with most of this article.. I dont think it's like that at all.....

10. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

That reminds me of those Cosmo books you see in the supermarket.

"Twenty Five New Ways to Blow Your Man's Mind" or some craziness close to that. I picked one up out of curiousity one time thinking 'Whoa, I didn't even know there were twenty five ways to blow my mind'. It turned out to be some of the weirdest stuff I've ever read, stroking nipples and nibbling body parts. Apparently this was information taken from a 'male poll'. Riiiiiight.

That aside though, women enjoying sex isn't anything new. Pretty sure a lot of women enjoy it more than men do when it's done right. If you're being safe and it's consensual, what's the problem? If you can get the garbage taken out, the bathroom cleaned and enjoy yourself at the same time it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

11. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

I've always thought it was unfair to use sex as a sort of bribe. I'm sure some women are like this, but not all. Personally, I've always considered sex to be about love, romance AND fun. I wouldn't have sex with someone I wasn't in love with.. and I certainly wouldn't have sex with someone because I felt sorry for them or wanted them to do something for me.

12. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

The sample is all from one place. It's a terrible study, you can't generalise this to the world. What a waste of time.
    (Not a dig at you Bill, just the guys who wasted their time diung this xP)

13. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

pick me pick me :mad:

lol

I think...
    - They asked women who are in stale marriages
    - They asked women who are saying these things because they like to spite men. Some will say things to feel as if they have the upper hand.
    - They asked women who do not understand why they are doing things.

14. Kakihara-Gumi

Kakihara-Gumi Well-Known Member

Bleh, sickening, fucking for monetary gain, I really would love to just beat these peoples heads in.

15. IDKwhatIwant

IDKwhatIwant Well-Known Member

this topic is depressing.

hope... leaving... gone.

=[

16. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

SuicideIsTheWrongOption Well-Known Member

that's really depressing. If you're with your significat other...i can imagine having sex for fun, curing headache and such....but...depressing.

17. 12years

12years Well-Known Member

Actually, it sounds about right to me. We like to think university students would know better, but in reality they don't.

It actually makes sense that female students would have sex for practical reasons. As a rule women don't have a strong libido as men--at least not until they get to their 30s. And as our parents have established a long time ago about high school boys wanting to push us to have sex: it has nothing to do with love.

18. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Some peoples attitudes towards sex is just ... it's lower than the animals, they have more respect.

19. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take what this book/survey says seriously. One factor is the kinds of women they asked. And by that I mean, there lifestyle, outlook on life, etc.
    I'm sure if you questioned guys who hanged out with these women, they would come out with mundane reasons to have sex, such as bragging rights to their friends or similar reasons to that of the women that were asked.

20. pisces

pisces New Member & Antiquities Friend

Well dont think i would be still married after 28 years if i just had sex to keep the peace etc, to me its a way of expressing how much you love each other and if it was that much of a chore think we'd both of given up by now.I would agree that its probably like the article says for some women and men but deffinately not all,these surveys are usually a load of crap and if we believed everything they said what a lonely awful life we'd have because no one would want to take the chance in getting to know any one,never mind the sex