seeing another persons cuts

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by meagainstme, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

i myself am a cutter.
    and it doesnt phase me.
    but seeing my friend cut was awful. she hasnt cut in years, and when she let me know she had cut and i saw her arm, my heart just felt like it had been crushed. so horrible to see someone you love feel like they have to do that to themselves, yet i cant see it myself.

2. Just_visiting

Just_visiting Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this. I think seeing other people cut, especially people i care about, is horrible. Its upsetting, which is weird seeing as we have no problem cutting our selves. Also once one of my friends asked if i wud cut them and i couldnt do that, even though i know they were a regular self harmer and wud cut themselves anyway if i didnt cut them it was just to upsetting for me to cut them.
    L1

3. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

No one I know cut themselves, I guess I'm the lucky one. Ha. Not.

4. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

I've seen *pictures* of other people's cuts, but never actually on a person...I don't know how I'd react. I guess I'd be sad. There's so much pain in the world :(

5. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

Indeed it hurts to see other people's cuts, eventhough I do it myself. Does that make me a hypocrit?

one of my best mates hadn't cut herself for some years and then the death of someone we both cared about a lot, made her cut again. When I saw it I just knacked and hugged her I couldn't say anything but "oh ......*name* ... your arm.. :sad: " and I gave her a huge hug. She hasn't done it anymore eversince and she said she won't do it again. Thank God.

I hate it when others do it, yet I myself selfharm regularly. I'm such a hypocrit :sad:

6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

:hug: Est

I have seen someones self harm scares. The person is actually from SF. They asked to see mine. I reluctantly agreed and then they showed me theirs. They showed me theirs on another occasion aswell. It hurts to see it. Hurts like hell. Hurts even thinking about it.

7. LaLaLullaby

LaLaLullaby Well-Known Member

Seems fine to me as long as they're taking good care of the injury.

8. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

It bothers me just a tad... mind you just a tad. 'Course, it's hard for me to care about anything anymore... :laugh:

I'm sorry your friend hurts themself too trapped. Have you talked with them about it? Maybe your friend feels the same way about seeing yours? Maybe you can help each other? Maybe you could refer them to this site so they can get help?

Sorry for the lack of good advice:dry:

9. poeticxxxtragedy

poeticxxxtragedy Active Member

I think I`m weird. It doesn`t bother me, I accutaly find comfort knowing that I`m not completly alone and that someone has the same problem.

10. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is a little off topic or what but... I often find myself scanning people's arms, legs, hands, whatever for anything that might be self harm. I don't know why really, and I don't know how I'd feel if I actually did see something.

A couple of weeks ago I found out that a friend of mine self harms, and I told her that yeah, I do too. I haven't seen her scars or anything though, and she hasn't seen mine. It feels weird... It's horrible to know that other people feel that bad, but then at the same time it's sort of nice to know you're not alone in it all. I said something like that and she agreed. She said it was good to talk to someone who actually understood...

A guy who I've been close friends with for years and years used to cut his arms when he was about twelve. He stopped a long time ago though, he's one of those success stories. This one time fairly recently he started drumming with his hands on my leg to the music that was playing, and I jumped and shouted because it really hurt. He just sort of looked at me for a minute and then just said "ohh... come here..." and gave me a hug. He knew I was having a hard time but he didn't know until then about the way my legs were. He didn't ask to see or anything, he was really good about it. I remember seeing his arms way back when he'd been cutting himself for a while (I was the only person he showed)... it really upset me at the time, but I think it would touch me on a whole different level if I saw someone's cuts now... because I cut myself now. I don't know...

Sorry, most over-long post ever :mellow:.

11. xcchicka

xcchicka Member

i saw someones cuts in highschool and it was depressing even though i cut, they had tattoed a star into their stomach....i dunno though if i saw someone now what i would say

12. omgitslara

omgitslara Guest

omg noooo, my friend used to cut! she carved a boys name into her arm it was AWFUL!! i have never cut there is no point how does it relieve your pain? it just makes you feel worse when people call you emo.

13. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

dont judge unless you have experienced it

14. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha. Don't judge until you've experienced it yourself.

15. Lost Disciple

Lost Disciple Well-Known Member

Not to be mean or anything but...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Maybe try picking up some books on the psychology behind it from your local bookstore or library. It's rather interesting--until and unless you get caught in its web.

And, fyi, it's probably not smart to go into the 'Self-Harm' section and then say you don't understand it, there's no point, and it's awful. That's just poor decision-making, and it's bound to get you laughed at (as justified by the above).

16. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I got someone to show me a cut on web cam last night. Wasn't the nicest of experiances but i had to make sure the person was okay. It would of proberbly triggered but i made sure i was strong enough to see it. Although it hurt like hell to see somone i care so much like that. :sad:

17. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I've seen people self harming when I was in the hospital and the other way round.

Most people are scared of self harm because they don't understand it. They think, ''how can cutting yourself actually help?''. I guess I'd think the same thing if I didn't do it. It's not something that people talk about much.

18. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

We met up for a coffee last week and he showed me the scars on his arm. I hadn't seen them for years. And not since I started cutting myself. It felt really weird. I still can't quite place how I feel about it :mellow:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.