1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seeing floating things

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by whybother?, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whybother?

    whybother? Well-Known Member

    hey all

    since i was very young ive been seeing floating objects infront of me.. its like really small white pentagon shapped things in a long strand and sumtimes it curls.. and also i see black things swirling in the left hand side of my left eye

    i have perfect vision and they don't cause any pain its just REALLY annoying when u see sumthing moving near u and u jump and its nothin.

    i MIGHT goto the opticians 2morrow but i might be given glasses which i really don't want, glasses so wouldn't suit me, contact lens cost alot (i think) and i havn't got a job so won't be able to afford it

    if any1 has ANY idea bout these strange floating things PLZ reply i have NO idea wat so ever wat they are


    nige :smile:
  2. MrDepressed

    MrDepressed Guest

    I have something similiar (which I think is common to almost all people), but mine are not permanent and always there, but I get stars now and again and or the allusion of shadows moving, or like little black things move across my vision like a bug swimming in my eye... I believe they are remnants of some sort of tissue from when we were still in the womb..???
  3. shatteredsoul

    shatteredsoul Well-Known Member

    i sometimes see shadows out of the corners of my eyes, and then when i go to look there not there. going to the doctors office is a really good idea! good luck!!
  4. BlackPegasus

    BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

    The light can play all sorts of tricks with our eyes. if we look at bright sources and away, even just a lamp or white object, we can get all sorts of dark spots and squigglies. I don't know if this is the case for you but thought I'd mention it.

    I wore glasses from the time I was three till I was 11. I didn't have to wear them for years but now have a piar of glasses I wear to see road signs. I don't have to wear them all the time. When I was a kid i was considered ugly becasue of my glasses but these days it is almost a fasion trend. Mine make me look smart and cute but I can't wear them regularly as they make my eyes hurt. Just for things far away. Don't worry about silly stereotypes about glasses. Nothing wrong with wearing them. I think the right pair will flatter anyone.

  5. i have black spots floating in front of my eyes a lot of the time. my doctor told me that it is stuff floating in the liquid of my eyeball.
  6. PressedIn

    PressedIn Well-Known Member

    It's common. Still going to a doctor isn't a bad idea. I get this "aura" like shape that gets bigger, followed by a migram, usually stress causes it. But sometimes I see a circle inside a pentagon in clusters, then when I try to look at it it'll move from my line of sight, like it's crap on my eyeball, but not in the center. So when you move your eye to look at it it'll move with your eye.

    Like nevergoodenough said, I too get black spots, again they only last for a few seconds. Common stuff, but doctors is always good.
  7. whybother?

    whybother? Well-Known Member

    pressedIn i get the same! when u go look at em they just move!

    and i did goto the doctors awhile back about it he just said to goto the opticians about it

    am still unsure about glasses thou..

  8. KDS

    KDS Guest

    I once read somewhere that the little black things are actually burst capillaries that just float around until dissolving...I'm not a scientist, so I cannot verify that statement...but I hope it makes you feel better!

    I've got them, but only see them when I look up at a clear blue sky or something. Not everytime...
  9. Stranger1

    Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

    Hey WhyBother,
    I went to my doctor and he couldn't explain it so he sent me to a nuerologist and he couldn't explain it so he sent me to an eye doctor well I found out I needed glasses but he couldn't explain why I was seeing constant shadows moving out of the corner of my eyes and the occasional one that would dart across in front of me..
    My shrink finally put me on a med for skyzophrenia and I will be damned they are gone.. I get an occasional one dart across in front of me but the shadows I always saw are gone..Why don't you talk to your shrink about skyzo meds.. They are trial and error.. The first one he put me on had me haelucenating but the second one has been helping..Give it a shot.. It doesn't mean your skyzophrenic you are just benefitting from some of what the med can do..Take care!!
  10. JohnADreams

    JohnADreams Well-Known Member

    Do you mean these?


    I get them all the time. They're harmless.

    Also, contacts aren't that expensive, just damn fiddly to get in. I'm thinking about getting continuous wear lenses that you keep in for 4 weeks at a time. They cost around £16 a month and require a lot less messing around than daily disposables. You can sleep with them in as well, so that's a plus for forgetful people like me.

    Oh wait..2 year old thread. Nevermind then :laugh:
  11. shades

    shades Staff Alumni

    In certain types of light most people see what are referred to as "FLOATERS".
    This is gelatinous material (according to my optometrist) that has broken off and floats around and are also harmless as mentioned above. You get more of these as you age.

    However, the shapes you mention are not familiar to me and the way you describe the other things you see appear to be something else.

    An optician usually only gets you glasses and rims.

    An optometrist, however will look inside your eyes and may be able to see something that you do not know about. This should by your first step, to see an optometrist and tell him exactly what you are seeing.
  12. MeAndYou

    MeAndYou Well-Known Member

    Yea most of what you described sounded like floaters but some of it cuold be something else. You def. want to go to the optometrist and have them check your eyes out for anything out of the ordinary.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.