Seeing psychiatrist, starting meds

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Well, I think I can work with this one. She doesn't ignore my concerns. She agrees that managing side effects is a priority. After hearing me bitch about giving up all my other vices (no more cigarettes, alcohol, other drugs, caffeine) she said she wouldn't push the issue of me still smoking pot. She offers a month or two's worth of samples for everything she prescribes, so I know whether there'll be any unacceptable side effects, and get a feel for if it might help before I have to start paying for it.

And, as for the meds themselves, I guess I'm less concerned with the side effects now. It would be nice to find something that effectively reduces my anxiety without just sedating me, but getting my anxiety under control is enough of a priority that I'll just take what I'm given and deal. And I'm slowly increasing my dosage of an antidepressant that may or may not end up working, but at least is having no side efeects yet.

GFS

Well, I think I can work with this one. She doesn't ignore my concerns. She agrees that managing side effects is a priority. After hearing me bitch about giving up all my other vices (no more cigarettes, alcohol, other drugs, caffeine) she said she wouldn't push the issue of me still smoking pot. She offers a month or two's worth of samples for everything she prescribes, so I know whether there'll be any unacceptable side effects, and get a feel for if it might help before I have to start paying for it.

And, as for the meds themselves, I guess I'm less concerned with the side effects now. It would be nice to find something that effectively reduces my anxiety without just sedating me, but getting my anxiety under control is enough of a priority that I'll just take what I'm given and deal. And I'm slowly increasing my dosage of an antidepressant that may or may not end up working, but at least is having no side efeects yet.
It's great that you finally seeing a psychiatrist and that she sounds like the right one for you.
Wishing you a fast recovery and hoping that those meds will work fast and efficiently and with no side effects.
Stay safe and take care, @Gonz!

Daphna

Ninja of light

Praying for the best.

GMody

Good that you have found a psychiatrist who listens and cares. Best of luck with the meds and wish you a speedy recovery. God bless.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi @Gonz Happy to hear you have found what so far sounds like a promising start to getting better. I am glad you are finally going to get something to help reduce your anxiety. Getting free samples sounds like a great bargain so you can see if they help before paying for your medications. I really hope this is the start of a fresh anxiety-free life for you, proud of you *hug

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
It's great that you've found someone who actually gets it. She sounds like a keeper.
Yeah, agreed. They prescribed me Zoloft in the hospital. I stopped taking it a couple weeks later because of the side effects (terrible night sweats). When I told the prescribing doc that I had stopped, he took it as like a personal affront. Like, I felt like a kid being scolded by the teacher for not doing my homework.

This one, on the other hand, gets that I have my own priorities and is willing to work with me rather than it being my role to shut up and do as I'm told.

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Yeah, agreed. They prescribed me Zoloft in the hospital. I stopped taking it a couple weeks later because of the side effects (terrible night sweats). When I told the prescribing doc that I had stopped, he took it as like a personal affront. Like, I felt like a kid being scolded by the teacher for not doing my homework.

This one, on the other hand, gets that I have my own priorities and is willing to work with me rather than it being my role to shut up and do as I'm told.
That is a good sign for a great psychiatrist, reminds me of mine. They are rare and precious! I'm glad you got her. *hug

Innocent Forever

🐒🥜🍌
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter

💕 I like her...

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Having someone that works WITH you is a real asset, Gonz. I'm glad you've found someone who wants to do things together rather than just tell you what to do and then expect you to follow along like a blind sheep. I'm proud of you for taking that really difficult step forward. (not the slightest bit condescending or smartass or weird)

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Having someone that works WITH you is a real asset, Gonz. I'm glad you've found someone who wants to do things together rather than just tell you what to do and then expect you to follow along like a blind sheep. I'm proud of you for taking that really difficult step forward. (not the slightest bit condescending or smartass or weird)
Yeah, I'm really happy with her so far. One thing I really like is that she makes herself available over the phone (and not just in theory either! You can actually get ahold of her fairly easily) between appts for simple stuff like dosage changes. She figures that it shortens the time it takes to figure out whether certain meds are going to work or not, and frees up the appts to get into the finer details of how things are working and refining our long-term plans.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00