Seeing psychologist and blacklisted from anything?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by TheBLA, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

So I have been seeing a psychologist recently for the past couple of months. Of course he is well aware of my mental illness and how many times I tell him I want to die. I wonder from these visits, have I been put on any blacklists from doing anything everyone else can do, such as purchasing a gun? With the gun bit, I have seriously no intention of buying one (at least not yet). Its just something I am curious about. Not only guns, but maybe anything else I can't do if the government/society, etc. knows I am "officially" mentally ill in their records?

2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I doubt it. I wouldn't know for sure though.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I don't think so your medical records are private. I think if you threatened to harm someone that is different
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I believe you're only blacklisted if you enter a mental hospital/psych ward or get in trouble with the police over it.

The US military does not accept people who have been treated for a period greater than 6 months or whose mental health problems interfere on a practical level in addition to that, but I'm reasonably certain the 6 months thing isn't found elsewhere, and further, they have no way of tracking those. (Just used as an example, someone asked somewhere about mental health and the military and I found that)
  5. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

In the US, gun laws seem farely loose. It wouldn't be that hard for you to get one if you needed it(what ever your reason may be). I'd expect that for you guys your medical records would be kept private, unless you were some sought of mass murderer :laugh:. While over here, when you apply for a gun license they pretty much do a background check and have a health consultant do a 'once over' of you to see if you aren't loopy :rolleyes:.
  6. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

The gun thing should not be a issue, I bought three guns after my first time being treated at a mental facility.
  7. nobody man

nobody man Well-Known Member

Records kept on your time with a psychologist will be treated as medical records and therefore, confidential. Any time spent in a mental facility can be seen in a background test which might keep you from doing certain things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.