seeking help

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Blank Stare, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blank Stare

Blank Stare Member

I have been really depressed and experiencing suicidal thoughts daily for about 3 years and I'm ready to get help. I am in a very demanding major and it's hard enough without having to deal with depression every day. I came to realize that I devote a lot of my attention to my depression making everyday tasks that much harder to focus on. Anyway, I am a very private person when it comes to matters like these so this process of talking to someone about it is terrifying to me. I've decided I'm going to start by going to the counseling center here at my university.

It sounds good in theory but I have many concerns about actually doing it. It sounds ridiculous but my biggest concern is setting up the appointment. More specifically, if someone my own age is the one setting up the appt. It just seems so embarrassing calling up and saying, "Um. I'd like to make an appt. to speak with one of the counselers about, um, my depression." I'm really good at talking myself out of doing things and this is just to important to dismiss so I really need a push from you guys, or some sort of motivation. Thanks.

B

2. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

Don't be embarrassed. Depression isn't something we can just brush away. It needs to be treated, and I am so glad you are willing to reach out for help. Please promise us you will make that appointment as soon as possible.

What time is it where you are? Could you make the appointment now, or do you have to wait until tomorrow? If the former, I can stay on until you call; if the latter, I'll remind myself to be here tomorrow. I won't stop bugging you until you call. :) :hug:

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Blank Stare.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time.

A lot of people feel awkward when they call to make appointments - especially the first one. I imagine the receptionist is quite used to talking with "first timers".

Perhaps you could write down what you'd like say and if you need to, refer to it when you make the call.

You've actually done one of the hardest parts already - deciding that you'd like to get counseling. You'll be fine with the phone call!

All the best and I hope that you're feeling okay.

A.

4. Blank Stare

Blank Stare Member

Thank you so much for the kind responses. I'm already starting to feel better about calling. I'm going to have to do it tomorrow cuz it's like 10:00pm here. I will definitely post on here tomorrow with the outcome (which I really hope will be good!). Thanks a bunch.

B

5. Nessarose

Awesome! I'm glad you're going to call. I'll check back when I can tomorrow. :D

6. Blank Stare

Blank Stare Member

Well, I did it! I called and made an appt. for Monday morning. I feel so good and relieved right now! I'm not expecting miracles to come out of this but at least I'm finally being proactive. Thanks again for the support, Nessarose and Acy, it means a lot to me.

B

7. Nessarose

Yay! You called! Let us know how it goes. <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.