Seeking treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Issaccs

The suspicion among those who know me is that I'm bi-polar.

Now I'm not sure what to make of this, its my recollection that throughout school I was depressed, I remember wanting to off myself around 13 due to bullying but I digress, maybe their were phases of happiness thrown in there but recently I've gone for periods of time where I'm beyond happy. I also become an impulsive drunken lout with an ego problem and I feel I've slipped out of that right now.

I'm considering going to my GP but the concept terrifies me, mainly because I've never spoken out loud about my issues, those who know generally piece it together from behavioural observations and I really struggle with the idea of saying to a grown man "I am sad, what can you do" kinda thing.
Im also concerned about the potential fallout this could bring on my shoulders, my intention is too join the police in the future and I'm not all too keen on the idea of them receiving an enhanced disclosure with "treated for bi-polar disorder" printed somewhere.
I dunno, ideas folks?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
If you go to a private therapist no one will know of you illness but you and the doc you really need to be stable if you wish to join the police better to get that done first. There are many men that go in for help with mental illness you will not be the first to ask for an evaluation of your mental status. Just talk tell doc what the issues are okay get some help NOW before it does become a big issue. hugs

if you are bipolar you need to get stabilized, otherwise you'll never make it in your chosen career. there are good meds out there and you'll need to be on them for life (i'm bipolar too). as long as you are stable it shouldn't effect your being a police officer. being unstable is a greater risk, because you could end up being hospitalized.

about seeing teh doctor, keep a mood journal and take that with you. also write down any episodes of depression or mania. that will help them diagnose you. sometimes mania looks like agitation/irritation instead of staying awake for days and hallucinating. good luck.

Issaccs

I understand where your coming from but I'm of the view that firing a police officer due to hospitalisation would be quite illegal, whereas not hiring one due to illness, while still illegal would be massively difficult to prove.

Ill definatly do the journal though and if I get to a stage where i cannot cope anymore I will seek medical assistance.

warrabinda

just curious - why would it affect employment? how would they know?

i kinda see an area where they ask you for health problems... in which case illness could interfere with you ability to work.... in which case you would need to describe what steps you have taken to manage it and describe how your symptons are under control. I think as long as you show that you have taken action to manage it they should be cool with it.

I guess the other thing to do is give examples about how your experiences have helped you gain insight for your job but that can be tricky....and look they may not even ask you about it.

i think it's the concern that with the MINIMAL possibility you do something completely unacceptable say as a result of mania (and i'm not being cruel; mania can be brutal) that they won't face any repurcussions...or that they failed in a duty of care towards you or their clients.

Does you depression episodes severely affect (i.e. to the point where you are unable to get out of bed) you? could this impact on your physical ability to police? they would ask you stuff like that and you would need to demonstrate that while it might in the past, you have sought treatment which you previously didn't have which has improved overall ability to function.

all the more [can't remember the word, damnit] to see that doc! There's another thread where a man is talking about how hard it is to get help because of this whole social construction of masculinity. and I'm female - maybe it's easy for me to say - but there's nothing stronger than being able to help yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00