Self Defense

Discussion in 'Bullying and Violence' started by Freddy, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freddy

Freddy Guest

If your being bullied talk to a staff member about it. Dont take matters into your own hand quite yet. It may get yourself into more trouble.

Other than that take some good martial arts like Brazilian jujutsu, Muay Thai or Judo. That should make you a tougher target to be picked on.

Also get into some weight lifting.

Learn to fight back and dont take crap from them. Do yourself that favor.
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. Jackson

Jackson Guest

If you can't run away, I suggest knowing pressure points to subdue them. Or a good old-fashioned kick in the balls for the males if it gets desperate.
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

It's sad, but true, that the only thing a bully seems to understand is violence..SIGH.
    Learning to defend yourself is a good way to go :smile:
  4. Freddy

Freddy Guest

Yeah the good old shift kicks to the balls! :eek:hmy: :laugh:
  5. Freddy

Freddy Guest

For some free self defense techniques check out youtube:

chin na

ground fghting

muay thai moves

Bas Rutten's stuff

fast judo demo

btw I personally would get relatively good at this stuff befor using it.
    Note: Disclaimer do so at your own risk.
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  6. Freddy

Freddy Guest

How to Deal With Bullies

Dealing with bullies in school was bad enough, but bullies exist in all walks of life. If you've got an aggressive, dominant person trying to get the best of you, here's how to cope.

1. Avoid the bully, because if they can't see you or aren't near you, they can't hurt you.
    2. Make a list of who is harassing or threatening you and record their acts of aggression. Write a detailed account of what these people are doing to you. Make sure to specify if it is physical (kicking, biting, slapping) bullying or verbal (swearing, racial remarks). If you eventually choose to take further legal action against these people, vital things such as names or appearance details will help.
    3. Get some witnesses; the worst thing when you're being bullied is not to have people there to protect you. For example, if you were being bullied on the school bus, sit next to or near your friends or someone you can trust.
    4. Show as little reaction as possible. Do not show the bullies that you feel hurt if they do something to make you uncomfortable. Oftentimes, and especially when they are in groups, they want to see that they can elicit a reaction from you--preferably discomfort, pain, embarrassment, and even anger--so that they can feel powerful and dominant. Pretend that you are completely unaffected by them. Eventually they will get bored.
    5. Confuse the bully with kindness. Smile at them when they look at you. This can be pleasant and closed mouthed or wide and sparkly with all your teeth! Remember the last time you got an unexpected smile from an unexpected person and how weird or perhaps good you felt? Try to pass on those feelings.
    6. Counter their taunts with humour, but don't overdo it. Laughing with them, shrugging, and cracking a joke or two about yourself or on a related topic is good. A sarcastic, biting comeback can elicit rage and even further bullying.
    7. Build your self confidence. Odds are, a bully is picking on you because they sense some kind of insecurity or fear of confrontation. Taking up a martial art can help in this regard.
    8. Alert somebody of authority if it's a constant occurrence. Look to ease the situation with comic relief, not escalate it into a battle of who can belittle the other more.
    9. If it's in school, tell your principal or senior staff to deal with it, or if it's at work tell the manager. Be brave when you go to report the bullying. Things can only get better from there.
    10. If it still persists tell the police. This is the absolute final step - only use this if it gets extremely bad and you feel threatened.

* If you have begun to feel very depressed about bullying, you should consider consulting a doctor. Depression is a serious illness which affects many and your doctor can help you.
    * If more and more of the bully's friends come along,or the people there are beginning to surround you, try distracting them and LEG IT.

Related wikiHows

* How to Deal With Someone in School Who Hates You for No Apparent Reason
    * How to Avoid Bullies
    * How to Choose a Martial Art
    * How to Become Friends With an Enemy
    * How to Deal With School Bullies
    * How to Deal With Boys Who Mistreat You
  7. Greenforest

Greenforest Well-Known Member

But sometimes it doesn't matter how strong you are, if you don't do anything to them. They learn to know they can insult you as much as they want because you don't seem to care. And if you do something, it will only lead into circle of violence that you will most propably lose against their gang.

So kneel down before them, show them you are inferior? Show them they can control you?

A good way to really defense yourself is to do it Columbine-style.
  8. Freddy

Freddy Guest

Just talk to a school staff member or the police if its outside of th school. I think they can put a court restraint order.
  9. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Please don't say that.
  10. Tigerstripe

Tigerstripe Guest

WHen i was bullied i started playing rugby and ice hockey and made a large amount of friends but just bulking up and getting fit for rugby and hockey seemed to detour the majority of the bullies except one, only when i actually wounded the guy did the bulling and the taunts completely stop.

So i recommend taking up a team soport such as rugby or Ice Hockey
  11. Freddy

Freddy Guest

Yeah its a good tactic to make more friends. In particular if they are into athletic activities. At least you have back up if the bullies try to mess with you.
  12. Tigerstripe

Tigerstripe Guest

Yeah you don't wanna anger a rugby team by fucking with their mates
  13. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

I COMPLETELY agree with a lot of what's being said.

- Take up weight-lifting
    - Take up a combat sport (Boxing, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, or ALL THREE!)
    - Get on a sports team

Grant it, sports teams have their own hierarchy and there's bullying that goes on there but for the most part you'll be fine b/c its all in :biggrin:

I've been boxing seriously for a few years and have been studying Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seriously for the past year. I've also bulked up from 150 lbs to 187 lbs of muscle over the last 3 years. I take up for people all the time b/c I hate bullies! I can assure you that bullies are cowards.

Put on a little size. Learn a combat sport. Make an athletic team. Not only will the bullies fade away, but your confidence will grow significantly. Of course, then its YOUR turn to look out for those having problems.

All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
  14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

If someone is trying to goad you into a fight, a good way to get them to leave you alone is to tell them to go ahead and throw the first punch. 9 times out of 10 they will just make some comment and back off. Once a bully realizes you intend to defend yourself, they will usually go and find someone they can bother without consequences. If not, they throw a punch and you get into a fight, but you won't be looked at as someone easily bullied in the future.
  15. Tigerstripe

Tigerstripe Guest

Yeah bulking up stopped the bully's for me mainly from a skinny little runt to a 5'10 205lbs toned guy with a lot of friends, it will do wonders for self esteem. The boys in the team will give you some pelters but it is all in fun and all you do is insult them back.
  16. imheretohelp

imheretohelp Member

i came into my school with no respect and barely any friends, just people who i went to primary school with, when i was 14 i started taking judo lessons and i also joined a gym and started taking protein supplements. i soon bulked up and knew how to fight, i did most of my training during summer so i came back pretty much ripped and on the second day of school the guy (also the 'coolest' guy in school who usaly bullied me threw a smoothie at my head, so i walked up to him (which surprised him as i never retailiated) and i threw in about 6-8 judo throws includings 1 where he hit a garbage bin. i ended up replacing him, telling his posse friends to fuck off, me and my friends treated other people with respect now, we wouldnt fuck with nerds, geeks, losers, all those labeled people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.