Self destruction

Just a random question/thought.
Nothing is wrong (that I know of), I'm not sad, not happy. Nothing has happened. Yet today somehow I am self harming (I'm not addicted), I'm self medicating to a point where I'm pushing my limits, and taking stupid risks.
Yet, Nothing is wrong?

Does anyone else do these self destructive, senseless things for absolutely no reason at all?

I'm just trying to understand myself a little I guess.

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I wish I could give you an answer to why you are doing this, but I can understand it. I do this daily. It developed over time, in fact for maybe up to a year now, but I take impulsive risks. I have been told that one day it will go wrong and I will make myself very ill, that my system won't be able to tolerate the constant abuse but when the impulse kicks in and as you say, for no reason and nothing has happened, I tell myself it was OK yesterday so no reason to not do it again today. So yes, I do have these self destructive, senseless things that I do for no reason. Both cutting and medication misuse. I have said in the past that I like taking the risk in the hope that I will end up in hospital where I can get a break. But is has also been said, what if I get brain damage or die from accidental overdose? it does happen. I tell myself it is unlikely and I have everything under control. My mental health care team think differently.
My problem now is, I don't know how to stop. I can tell myself in a moment of logic that I don't need to do this but inevitably I sink into the bottomless pit and succumb to the need to take a risk and show myself that I am unworthy to be here. I guess part of it is that I don't think I could do it willingly because I wouldn't want to upset my family but if it was accidental it would be easier to take? Again, probably just kidding myself. I hurt, I want to hurt the hurt and the daily fight is hard.
I hope that you are able to think logically and perhaps posting here will help you to do that. Logic will tell you that it is not a safe thing to do, and I would certainly not recommend going down my route where it becomes almost impossible to stop the daily abuse. I hope it gets easier for you, take care *hug xx

, I tell myself it was OK yesterday so no reason to not do it again today
This , its EXACTLY how I think/feel!
I like taking the risk in the hope that I will end up in hospital where I can get a break
And this!
I do think I think logically, but I know it doesn't look that way to anyone else. I don't tell anyone else I do these things. I'm quite good at hiding things though, I've done it all my life so no one would ever know unless I told them.
I don't like drawing attention to myself either.
Thank you, I think I've probably done this for near enough my whole adult life.
I hope one day you get the break you deserve and thank you for answering

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
This , its EXACTLY how I think/feel!

And this!
I do think I think logically, but I know it doesn't look that way to anyone else. I don't tell anyone else I do these things. I'm quite good at hiding things though, I've done it all my life so no one would ever know unless I told them.
I don't like drawing attention to myself either.
Thank you, I think I've probably done this for near enough my whole adult life.
I hope one day you get the break you deserve and thank you for answering
*hug*hug

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Just a random question/thought.
Nothing is wrong (that I know of), I'm not sad, not happy. Nothing has happened. Yet today somehow I am self harming (I'm not addicted), I'm self medicating to a point where I'm pushing my limits, and taking stupid risks.
Yet, Nothing is wrong?

Does anyone else do these self destructive, senseless things for absolutely no reason at all?

I'm just trying to understand myself a little I guess.
Yes.

A_J_R

I'm incredibly self destructive. We do it in different ways.

So, I can't tell you why you do this, but one thing that struck me a while ago was that Christian Slater once said that while filming Heathers he found Shannen Doherty to be the most self destructive person he'd ever met. Years later, she talked a bit about her father having horrible health issues and almost dying when she was a teenager. That it isolated her, and I think she didn't know how to express herself, and was afraid and angry.

That's all to say, I think that these types of behaviors come from somewhere. I think the root will always be different, but there's a root. You might be able to figure that out, and i hope you do. I have a general idea of where my self destruction comes from. I'm not saying it's a cure-all, but it will help you recognize when you get to those points.

I don't directly know why I self destruct. I know my past more than likely plays a part but I can't see a direct link.
I'm at a point where I'm being highly destructive. I've got Extremely poor impulse control right now. I must be bothered a little bit otherwise why else would I post here? I don't know.
I don't seem to care what my actions lead to.
Things have been building up and building up but i feel like the tower is about to topple.
I'm well aware of what I'm doing. But that doesn't mean I like it. I'm struggling a little. Sorry.

britishbloke

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I don't directly know why I self destruct. I know my past more than likely plays a part but I can't see a direct link.
I'm at a point where I'm being highly destructive. I've got Extremely poor impulse control right now. I must be bothered a little bit otherwise why else would I post here? I don't know.
I don't seem to care what my actions lead to.
Things have been building up and building up but i feel like the tower is about to topple.
I'm well aware of what I'm doing. But that doesn't mean I like it. I'm struggling a little. Sorry.
I don't think anyone KNOWS WHY, they do it, we just do it, like you say, poor impulse control. I do things I know to be incredibly terrible for me but I just do. Recognising you have a problem is good, there's going to be so many different techniques to dealing with it but maybe you need to try out a couple of them before you find something that works for you?

You have no need to say sorry for struggling, that's what this website is here for, really. I hope things get better for you

Catch_22

I know why I do it. I would gather it's not for no reason..but only you can know for sure. Series problems are latent and manifest in behaviours..I would suggest to get to know this part of you and figure out if it does have a root or not. If it is for nothing, I am here to learn because it's a new idea to me. I hope you are being careful. Which is maybe a dumb thing to write as you talk about self destructing,but I mean, be as careful as possible please.

I don't think anyone KNOWS WHY, they do it, we just do it, like you say, poor impulse control. I do things I know to be incredibly terrible for me but I just do. Recognising you have a problem is good, there's going to be so many different techniques to dealing with it but maybe you need to try out a couple of them before you find something that works for you?

You have no need to say sorry for struggling, that's what this website is here for, really. I hope things get better for you
Thank you, the self destruction period has passed now and I'm actually feeling pretty good. I think, now that I feel good, that I do it to hurt. I think I need/ want to hurt bad and so that's why I do it. Anything on a deeper level, I just don't know.

I know why I do it. I would gather it's not for no reason..but only you can know for sure. Series problems are latent and manifest in behaviours..I would suggest to get to know this part of you and figure out if it does have a root or not. If it is for nothing, I am here to learn because it's a new idea to me. I hope you are being careful. Which is maybe a dumb thing to write as you talk about self destructing,but I mean, be as careful as possible please.
No, it's not a dumb thing to say at all. I understand what your saying. I will be careful, I hope you were too

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Thank you, the self destruction period has passed now and I'm actually feeling pretty good. I think, now that I feel good, that I do it to hurt. I think I need/ want to hurt bad and so that's why I do it. Anything on a deeper level, I just don't know.
Pleased to hear things are a little better for you and you are no longer feeling self destructive. Did anything specific happen to turn it around for the better, or was it just time that allowed you to move on?

Reaver

Wasting away
I guess I kinda do the same thing, but with essentially just choosing not to sleep. Like, sometimes, I'll just feel like staying up longer even when I'm really tired and I never know why. Basically did that exact thing today; I should have been asleep hours ago. Definitely will make a start now, but yeah...
I wish I knew why I get like this.

I think if I'm honest, it could be a million reasons why I do it. I think I get in a 'down' phase and I hate myself. I think the self destruction could be the bit before suicidal thoughts. So maybe a way not to? I dunno. I think I may have to many reasons ha ha

I guess I kinda do the same thing, but with essentially just choosing not to sleep. Like, sometimes, I'll just feel like staying up longer even when I'm really tired and I never know why. Basically did that exact thing today; I should have been asleep hours ago. Definitely will make a start now, but yeah...
I wish I knew why I get like this.
Do you think it could be too cause suffering to ourselves when things are a bit rough?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00