self harm and BPD

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Summer/Autumn, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer/Autumn

Summer/Autumn Active Member

I've just been told that the 'experts' now think I've got BPD and major depression at the same time (it's only taken the 15 months to work that one out!). Anyway, I'm told that I have most of the symptoms for BPD and that's the self harm bit (by cutting and overdosing) and the empty feelings and the lack of friendship bit too just for good measure.

So can any one help me here and tell we what I can do to lessen these symptoms (the self harm overdoses are getting out of control now and I'm told if I can't control the in the near future they'll hospitalise me) I'm told that there's no usable form of medication for this disorder - but please do try and help.

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

if you google marsha linehan and dbt you will find some good resources. that's the best therapy for people with borderline.
  3. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

Yes, DBT is helpful but so is medication. There is no specific kind of medication used exclusively for BPD but there are all kinds of medications that can be used to combat individual symptoms. So, for instance, if you are also battling with depression, antidepressants can be helpful (as in my case they have been and continue to be). There are also meds that help with anxiety (often these are antidepressants as well but there are others), impulsivity, and mood stability. Honestly, I think meds play a really important role in the treatment of BPD, particularly if you're really struggling otherwise. I find it odd that they told you that there's no usable form of medication for this disorder, considering that the expert opinion is that the best treatment involves both long-term psychotherapy and medication. Best of luck to you.
  4. prophetbirds

prophetbirds Well-Known Member

I have been in a residential DBT program for about a month now, so if you ever need any help, just message me. There are really great groups everywhere. It takes a while to get used to, but it works, trust me.
    And yes, it is really helpful to work in tandem with medication. The right balance, along with a supportive environment can work miracles.
  5. Push

Push Well-Known Member

I would find a Dr who was willing to try some meds.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.