self harm to release stress

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Baltazaar, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baltazaar

Baltazaar Active Member

I havent been active on the forum yet here i am today. Few weeks ago after disasters (private and work) the pressure was so much that not even thinking of what i was doing, i've cut myself purposely. Now when medication do not act fast enough to calm down, I realized that this comes on my mind right away and as quick release of adrenaline. I cant live any longer under that pressure and cant think of anything else to do.. often segregated in the house, not being able or allowed to go out even for a short walk... etc... i need to move on with life yet may doesnt arrive soon enough.. and so many things still need to be done before i move away. Suggestions? :unsure:

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i try other forms of self soothing when i am overwhelmed. i read somewhere that self harm comes from not being properly nurtured when we are suffering. we have to learn to do this for ourselves.

one way i self nurture is i write on my arms where i cut. i ask myself what i most need to hear, sometimes it's things like "it will be okay" "you can do this" "you are safe now" ... when i look at my arms in preparation for cutting i get an affirming message. sounds silly but it really works for me.

i also see a therapist twice a week. instead of cutting i write down how i feel when i'm overwhelmed and talk about it with her. if you don't have a therapist i highlly recommend it.

it's a powerful addiction, but one you *can* beat. i believe in you.

hang in there,

c

3. Baltazaar

Baltazaar Active Member

God forbid i write on myself, we are phisically checked at work, my field implies some sacrifices. So far it passed unnoticed but they will soon realize how bad i am feeling. I dread that moment but as work is about to end, not matter too much. We are all let off from work.

As being laid off that means no money and therapist cost dearly.. perhaps once i start a new job i will but for now, i cant afford it.

Someone suggested i pull an elastic band but that didn't work at all.. looking for other means to release tension.. and pressure. Life sure sucks right now

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

wow they check yr body at work? i'm dying of curiosity, what do you do? if that's too personal it's okay, you don't have to answer. i'm just being nosy.

there's a good list of distractions i found on the web, matching mood to distraction, like if you are cutting because you are angry try x, y, z, if you are cutting because you are dissociated, etc. let me see if i can find it again for you.

maybe you can find a therapist with a sliding scale. i'm on disability so i don't have much to spend on therapy but i found someone who would work with me despite those limitations. you'd be amazed at how good it is to talk to someone about the urges. on sundays and wednesdays especially i tell myself i can't cut because i'm going to see her the next day, so what would be the point!

okay, i'm off to look for that link. hang in there,

c

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

6. Oloriel

Oloriel Well-Known Member

I draw on myself too - I actually think I got the idea from you, Dazzle, and it works wonders for me. :p I sadly don't write positive things, though... Another method my psychiatrist offered is to press a piece of ice to your skin - cold and hot things activate the same receptors as pain, and cold won't leave any damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.