self harmed for the first time in two months

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by blurryface, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blurryface

blurryface New Member

hey it's my first time posting here so i'll give a bit of backstory. i self harmed for four years and attempted suicide last year. i was in a psychiatric hospital for two months and have self harmed a few times since but have managed to go the past two months without cutting (which is the longest i've ever gone). but yesterday i relapsed and i'm just having really terrible suicidal thoughts. i was just hoping for some advice and maybe to hear how other's deal with this. thank you.

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear that you suffered so far but please remain strong. I know it's easy to say but you deal with any situation on a minute by minute basis. Like you, I wanted to self-harm but I tried that alternatives. PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER SELF-HARMING AS IT DOES NOT ACHIEVE ANYTHING.

What worked for me was the elastic band and ice cubes. These simple methods made me survive last year and they will help you. I know this will help you and I will to help you as much as I can. Please take care and be safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi and welcome to SF, I have replied to your other post but decided I would reply to this one too as I have experience with self harm too. I haven't cut in a long time and do not think I ever will again, my life is something back on track again :) I have dealt with self harm through psychotherapy and medications. You have to find a happy medium and stay there. 2 months is SUPERB!! Well done to you, try not to cut again, this was just a blip in the road, you can get past this and to a better place, I know you can do this!!

4. ksmith621

ksmith621 Member

First off, I love your username. Twenty One Pilots? Huge fan!

Now, I'm in the same boat as you. I just started back up again and I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand it's great because it's that release that I desperately need. But on the other hand, others hate that I do it to myself AND I usually feel worse after. So maybe we can work on getting better together. I usually try to lock myself in the bathroom or stay in one room and sit there for 5 minutes when I have an urge to cut. I let the wave pass over me and then most times I'll be okay. Definitely something I recommend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.