Self Harming attention seekers make me sick

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Kenickie, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Kenickie

Kenickie Account Closed

Work today was a nightmare.
    Colleague comes in with a sleeveless top on showing all of her scars, most were old, some were obviously done yesterday. OH how it made me laugh

why do people insist on showing off their self harming scars so that everybody clamors around them to then ask what did you do to yourself and she answers and says she was and is in distress, frankly about nothing at all in comparison to most peoples shit, and then throws her little pity party while everyone says how sorry they are about her boyfriend leaving her.
    Cover up your damn scars, they arent something to be proud of!

Fucking attention seekers.

2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

:dry: Maybe she didnt feel ashamed of her scars. It can be very difficult to show them. I don't think she did for attention. You make me sick tbh. Why should anyone cover them up? It might have been hot and she might not have wanted to wear long sleeves.
    And I'm sure she doesn't care what your judgemental and unsensitive self thinks of her or anything she does. I self harm and although what you said has made me angry, I realise that I don't really care for your opinion.

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

Some people do self-harm for attention, but most don't. I self-harm (not very much anymore) and I don't cover my scars. It's not for attention, it's cos it's hot or cos I like to wear tshirts or I want to show off my tattoos. I have scars on my face from accidents when I was younger and I'm not ashamed of those, so why should I be ashamed of my other scars? If someone asks me what happened I'm not gonna lie to them, and if they wanna say they're sorry I felt/feel bad enough to do that to myself then fine. But I don't go looking for it. I have scars from self-harm and I'm not proud of that, but I am proud that I've survived through seriously tough times and am still alive, and the scars are a sign of that. What does it matter to you if someone gets attention from having scars?

4. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I don't see why someone should have to cover up their body because you simply don't like it. Just because they have them on show does not make them attention seeker. Theres no denying there are people who do it for attention but i think you've over generalised way too much

I have a bad one on my upper left shoulder and a few little ones there and a few on my wrist. I haven't cut since January, does the fact that i walk around in a t-shirt with my wrists on show make me an attention seeker? No it means im my own person and i will not hide myself away. Its hard enough actually going out with scars on show without being labled an anttention seeker. To be honest i agree with Mal, i'm bloody well proud of myself for getting through those hard times.

In fact today i went swimming and it's always hard for me to swim with the bad one on my arm while there i saw a young woman, early 20's maybe, she had scars all the way up the outside of both her arms. My first thought was not 'oh what an attention seeker' i actually admired her for being able to go swimming like that.

If someone harmed themselfs once in a mad moment and has a scar from that, should they cover themselfs up for the rest of their lives?? I really don't see what difference it makes to you .... if you don't like it then simply ignore it.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I think we all hate attention seekers that is for sure! I don't know the situation exactly but it does sound like the person does like talking about it and is using them that way. You had every right to Let It All out and glad you did!!!

That being said I think we all know that is not the only reason people show scars it simply is not and I think you agree too. I trust that you know this person best and can read the situation better than me. Please don't use her as an example of those of who do and have self harmed and mutilated. I myself knew no other way and get frustrated by those like you described who do use it as a way to get attention but then again maybe this is her way of trying to get some love?
    Clearly you are smart so I hope you were just blowing of some steam and know that not everyone who cuts is like her.

6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Well, I guess you got your amusement for the day by having a "laugh" at someone who was in an obviously distressiful situation. What do you think...they cut themselves for fun?

So what is the problem that you have that we, here at SF, a support forum, can help you with. Please share so that we may begin to assist you on your road to success. You're a real gem!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  7. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Frankly that's all you are. Boring little troll!!! :robin:

8. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

I dont cover up my scars but it's not because i want people to ask about them. infact i find it VERY uncomfortable and quite triggering when someone asks me about them.

It's a part of my past .. my history .. ME. Why should I have to hide it

9. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

It's hot.
    Frankly you can't actually judge what causes her distress because you cannot profess to know everything about a person.
    Without being callous...or maybe i just am, it sounds as if you are jealous of the attention she got, which is ok.

For the record, i never show my scars so wear long sleeves and trousers all summer, which is to do with shame, not attention.

10. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I have two major scars from self harming and when people have asked me about them in the past I have made something up and lied, but nowadays I usually just say it's not something I really want to talk about but it was from a bad period in my life, and the conversation ends there.
    I do think when people sit and discuss it in depth and go on about what happened and why they did it and so on and it forms a crowd, it also makes me feel a little like they are trying to get sympathy. But that may not be the case - maybe this person has just finally come to terms with how they were and finds talking about it openly some sort of personal therapy.

You shouldn't be so quick to judge so harshly.

11. shades

shades Staff Alumni

This reminds me a an amusing little fishing story. You know that fishermen stand in a lake or stream and throw out their line? THeir line has a little fake bug on it that fish like, so to catch the fish they wiggle the thing back and forth to tease the fish, mocking it, until they catch it and reel it in. Oh, yeah, I just remembered, this teasing of the fish is called TROLLING!

12. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I self harm. I have scars from my wrist to my elbow. So fuck. Those scars are just as much a part of me as the suicidal thoughts, the arm they are carved into, my right foot etc. I dont cover them up. If someone asks I truthfully say I cut myself. That usually ends it. I'm 45 and dont think I have to answer to anyone about them nor do I have to cover them up. Nope they are not there for attention. They are there because I am a self harmer. You got a problem with that????? Cuz I've got a problem with you. You cant tell the truth. That girl didnt make you sick because of the attention she got. She made you jealous because of the attention she got. I mean really what should her business matter to you anyhow? It made you jealous or angry that she was getting attention. Next time why dont you just go up and say exactly what you said here. Trust me you'll get attention but it wont be what you were expecting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  13. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

I don't cover up my scars, I cover up my fresh cuts, but scars I could care less. I'm not doing it for attention but I hate being hot and wearing sleeves isn't an option for me cause I'm cold nature. But who cares, if someone wants attention then they clearly arn't getting it and maybe its not the best way to get it but its an easy accessible way to get it. I wouldn't be so quick to judge random people, because remember your always being judged,