Self-harming even when you're not sad?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Nicole_O91, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

Do you ever self-harm when you have to deal with emotion other than sadness?
    I know this sounds a little odd, but yesturday, two good things happened to be, I got offered a new job and I ran into a friend I'd not seen for nearly a year, but when I got home, my head was all over the place, I had lots of emotions going on, but mostly not bad, but I cut anyway.
    Does anyone else get this? Using S/H to deal with any emotions, not just negative ones?

2. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

Yes. I can SH when overwhelmed with any emotion, they don't have to be specifically sad/upsetting/negative. In fact the situation you described would be a prime example of a time when i would cut to maintain some sense of control over things. Sometimes i get over stimulated and buzz away so have to cut to stay in the here and now, or i cut because i can't cope/understand what i'm feeling even if they are good, happy feelings.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

My self-harm is usually when I'm feeling goal-focused; my goal is to off myself and I want to make sure my method is solid.

4. jenj

jenj Member

This is the same for me.

5. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

same for me too :hugtackles: :(

6. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

it happens to me a lot, when i get the feeling i need it but nothing special triggers me. i call SI an addiction because sometimes for no reason u need it...those are endorphines doing its job i guess.Making u wish for some more, or for some when u dont have any.

7. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i mostly cut when angry, which is brought on by getting upset. crying just doesnt cut it (pardon the pun).

8. Nosferatu

Nosferatu Well-Known Member

I think its something thats overlooked about SH a lot of the time, you dont have to be feeling negative to do it. Back when i was still doing it i could cut myself in any emotional state it was about the only thing i could control at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.