self harming

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by RyanKey=MyLife, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanKey=MyLife

RyanKey=MyLife Well-Known Member

I soooo need to self harm right now, does anyone know any methods like squeeze a bag of ice instead of cutting?

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

check out the self-harm section of the forum, you'll find a post there with a ton of suggestions. i think it's a sticky. what works for me is write in my journal - i ask the scars what they want to say and i let them speak directly. all that holding stuff doesn't work for me, makes me want to cut even more. the only physical thing that worked is to do push-ups so that my arms are exhausted. but the best thing is writing, getting all those emotions out onto paper so that i don't have to hang on to them anymore.
  3. RyanKey=MyLife

Yeah, I believe writing in a journal is a good idea:smile: The only reason I've never done it is because my mum always goes snooping around my room, when I used to be in school or whilst I'm sleeping, I wish I had some privacy.
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

how about a password protected file on your PC or online somewhere.... keep your password top secret and even she can't find it!!
  5. RyanKey=MyLife

I could try the online one, do you know any sites, where I can?:smile:
  6. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

Under let it all out section there is a room called "room to vent" which is basically like a place to vent and no one can respond.There is Ive never used but it can be made to be private and anonomis or which is basically the same.U can start a private blog and use it as a at
  7. notwanting2live

notwanting2live Well-Known Member

my old psych. suggested aload of things to stop me selfharming, and sometimes it works for me, it might work all of the time for you.

squeezing ice cubes in your hand, but dont do it for too long as it can really hurt and can actually "burn" after you let go.

using elastic bands around your wrist and stretching it and letting go when you get the urge, as this still gives you the comfort of pain (if you self harm to punish yourself like i do) without causing scars.

using red felt tip/food dye/liquid of some sort, to represent blood, and to give you the comfort - neva actually tried this one but its menna be gd.

using a clock system to overcome your temptation - such as if you want to cut, say i'll give it half hour and if i stil want to do it, i will see, and keep your self busy for half hour, but dont watch the clock obsessivly as it does encourages your urges.

Also being able to speak to someone, even if it leaves a answermessage on their phone, jus saying you need to talk to someone.

Good Luck

PM me if you need any thing else, as Ive got a huge booklet on self harming, and preventions.

Xx Sky xX
  8. Broken_Heart

Broken_Heart Active Member

if im gonna cut, i either call a friend who i know can help me, or write mainly. it helps me for a while, but sometimes my urges are so strong that it doesnt help...
  9. Floop

Floop Member

Normaly i write a letter, not to anybody though just explaining how i am feeling and why i want to do it. I also text people when i have the urge because then i am using my hands or i sit in a place with other people, because i don't do it infront of others
  10. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I write, poetry, quotes, lyrics, even do homework sometimes. My teachers must love when i have self harming urges cos it's the only time i'll do homework! lol. And texting, as floop said, helps. Something with your hands helps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.