self help

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by leo99, Jan 1, 2011.

1. leo99

leo99 New Member

Does anyone what is the most effective form of self help if you are suffering from depression? I really want to try and help myself because I dont want to go to a therapist/councillor and I have tried anti-depressants which don't really help in the longterm.
  2. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

meditation and getting to know yourself.
  3. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

I've read quite a few self-help books recently. The thing I would recommend starting with is the book "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns. It's a cognitive therapy model.

Personally, I really identified with many of the thinking errors common to depressed folks that he identified in the early section, such as all-or-nothing thinking ("I never do anything right!"). I thought that was a good sign.

The book also has a number of simple exercises you can do (all you need is a paper and pencil) that will help you get better, monitor your progress, and prevent relapse in the future.

Also, while I think self-help is fine, at some point you might consider getting help from others (even if it's only here on SF). I realized a short while ago that I sabotaged a previous attempt to get better in large part because I didn't let anyone help me. Someone else would have almost certainly recognized that my returning depression coincided with going off my medication, but my brain failed to do so for about three years.

I also like Romancer's suggestion. If you try mindfulness meditation I think you will find a lot of ideas similar to the ones in the book, and a way to practice them.