• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Self Therapy

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
Interesting article on Self help in the forum.... has anyone else tried self help or treatment..
Can you be more specific?
I've found that journalling has helped me more than therapy could have. However that is because numerous therapists on seeing things I've written have told me I'm doing therapy on myself, and because I don't speak much or share much. The writing I've done is just writing, or dialogue journalling- having a dialogue with myself to understand what is going on, why, to process, or anything else. I've written a lot to myself. Usually present day, but also to the younger Inno who needed to hear different things that she never did.

I would still go to therapy for myself if I could figure it out.

I've found Louise Hays meditations on youtube really helpful.

And I'm very pro mindfulness. Specifically doing an MBSR 8 week course which you have to practice for a bit every day the homework, because I've been to mindfulness classes and they don't measure up.

I like book The Journey by Brandon Bays.

And I've done tapping - EFT on myself. You can google the tapping solution. I think there is even now an app.

Hope this answers you a bit...

A member here has recommended The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns. It's a book about CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). There's evidence that you can get some benefit from learning CBT techniques on your own.

The links in my signature also have some info about treatment methods, including self-help methods.

There may be some books about abusive relationships that could be helpful. www.hotpeachpages.net has some articles about abusive relationships, and I think they list some books too.

Can you be more specific?
I've found that journalling has helped me more than therapy could have. However that is because numerous therapists on seeing things I've written have told me I'm doing therapy on myself, and because I don't speak much or share much. The writing I've done is just writing, or dialogue journalling- having a dialogue with myself to understand what is going on, why, to process, or anything else. I've written a lot to myself. Usually present day, but also to the younger Inno who needed to hear different things that she never did.

I would still go to therapy for myself if I could figure it out.

I've found Louise Hays meditations on youtube really helpful.

And I'm very pro mindfulness. Specifically doing an MBSR 8 week course which you have to practice for a bit every day the homework, because I've been to mindfulness classes and they don't measure up.

I like book The Journey by Brandon Bays.

And I've done tapping - EFT on myself. You can google the tapping solution. I think there is even now an app.

Hope this answers you a bit...
Keeping a journal sounds helpful... thanks

A member here has recommended The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns. It's a book about CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). There's evidence that you can get some benefit from learning CBT techniques on your own.

The links in my signature also have some info about treatment methods, including self-help methods.

There may be some books about abusive relationships that could be helpful. www.hotpeachpages.net has some articles about abusive relationships, and I think they list some books too.
The article to which I referred was about CBT.... wondering if anyone has had success with this method.

UKDude

I found CBT was okay for managing the feelings, but it takes time, and not so good at stopping the feelings.

I just kind of did some self therapy by accident, I'm not completely sure how but it allowed all of my feelings to surface - which was extremely unpleasant - but afterwards I felt really calm and haven't wanted or had a drink since - was drinking every day for a few years and couldn't stop. Now I don't want a drink at all, I think I was using it to bury the feelings.

Mainly I focused on breathing deeply and focusing on rising and falling, focusing my attention on the moment, and then using Pete Walkers method kind of from cPTSD book - telling yourself you're not in danger and the feelings aren't real. Plus some other bits.

Then all hell broke loose as I was overwhelmed by a gigantic anxiety and panic attack and I kind of "woke up" - can't think of how else to put it.

Now all I can think about is what a mess I've got myself into - now I can see it because I'm "awake" - and now I just want to evpourate out of existence. Not because I'm depressed (I don't think) but because I can see what a big F up I've made of my life.

Didn't look so bad when I was tanked up on alcohol. Doesn't look so great on tea and coffee.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
I find for myself CBT is more useful if I have a therapist to help question the assumptions I'm making, because sometimes it's hard to see them. But if you try CBT on your own with a workbook and keep up with it regularly I think it's probably still helpful.

extraterrestrialone

can’t toast bread without burning it
SF Supporter
Someone posted a video of an interview with a doctor (will search for name if you'd like) who spoke about something that amounts to restructuring your thought processes sort of like self brainwashing I think through affirmations.

His point was that if you rely on what is already in your mind you are using the stuff that is already known to be what is troubling you. He suggests defining what you want and install it.

Not sure how but I have been doing something like that and it has been working for me. I use repetition of my positive self image to make what I want become more present in my mind. I think this allows you to have a way of thinking that suits your needs as opposed to having only old thought processes that tend to take you to your already unhappy places.

I did not start with nothing. I had ideas of who I think I really am as opposed to being someone I believe has been in denial most of my life. If I can attach myself to the "new" or previously hidden idea instead of the old habitual ways, I can make myself become who I believe myself to really be.

With this I already see a way out of self harming. I also find that I am going through a few feelings with a tendency to be feeling happy or almost content, more often.

This is not a sudden change but I see that I am able to change when before I believed that I couldn't. I am doing this on my own while continuing with my talk therapy and only occasionally referring to what I'm doing on my own. I am not using meds.

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$600.00
Goal
$255.00