selfish???

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Freakyzeb, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freakyzeb

Freakyzeb Member

Is suicide really selfish and if so why???

2. Chaosut

Chaosut Guest

I personally don't believe that suicide is overly selfish. But at the same time it isn't the best way to solve problems and it will hurt the people who love u.

3. Our deaths, from whatever cause, will always leave behind survivors who ( hopefully ) loved us enough to grieve our passing. I personally find it extremely offensive for someone to trivialize my torment by saying that my
    desire to end my all-consuming pain is.....selfish ? What the hell do they know about me or what motivates me ?

Asking someone to remain alive when they would clearly prefer not to be is
    the epitome of selfishness....and to belittle their reasons by saying that their problems could never merit such drastic actions is a further slap in the face.

Whether life is worth living is a personal decision. We are all different people with different needs and requirements for happiness and what can be tolerated by some persons cannot be tolerated by others.

If some persons find that answer unsatisfactory, that's their problem.

4. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

I don't think suicide is selfish. I don't think it's the right way to solve a problem either. I think it's a desperate cry for help of a person entirely overwhelmed with emotional torment.

5. Suicide is usually invalidated by describing it as not solving a problem. This may not be the measure of its effectiveness for as suicide may not actually solve a person's problems it unquestionably makes their problems irrelevant.

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I have known someone who did kill themselves and quite frankly we all understood why. My sadness comes from knowing that no matter what anyone did the person could not be saved. In fact to save them would have been an act of selfishness.

However, we are talking about an extreme paranoid schizophrenic here, medicine failed them, therapy failed them and their life was a nightmare.
    Even with all his problems (and they were awful) he explored every avenue before taking that final irrevocable step. May he rest in peace, we all miss him. :sad:

7. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

No, I don't think suicide is a "selfish" decision, only a choice made by someone who no longer feels that they HAVE a choice. I also don't believe that the Creator would feel such a decision was selfish as He understands our pain. No, I think suicide is an act of desperation, not selfishness. For all that I don't want to be one of the grieving survivors, forever wishing I could have "saved" them, I can understand the torment that would drive someone to take their own life.:sad:

My understanding is just that: understanding. It will most certainly not substitute for solace should one of my loved ones commit suicide.:sad: :sad:

least, forever hopeful... most of the time...

8. My girlfriend is also a person with strong religious convictions and believes as you do ( concerning the act of self-destruction ). During the time that I was a person of faith that was my opinion as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  9. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Re: selfish??? *religious content* in reply

I don't think that it is an act of selfishness, but one of desperation. My view may be unpopular for some, but I do believe that although suicide is an act of desperation that does not make it justified. God created us and died for us on the cross, and He gave us all the oppurtunity to enjoy an eternal life free of pain or suffering or misery if we put our faith in Jesus and live it out. I have also been at the point of killing myself in my life, but I am thankful that God held me back. I was desperate and angry at myself and depressed and saw suicide as a way out. Had I gone through with it, I would have really hurt people in my family and some friends who I have, and I would have risked throwing away my eternal future in Christ.

Having said that, I also do not believe that anyone has a right to judge people who have committed suicide. Many of them have probably went through trials and sufferings and emotional devastation that we have not, even if what some of us may have suffered was similar each person is different. Although I feel that suicide is wrong, I also would not go around condemning or judging people who killed themselves. BTW they include a good friend and 2 other people I knew.
    My reason for this viewpoint also comes from my faith. The same Jesus who was crucified for us and promised eternal life in Heaven to those who put their faith in Him (and this is something that all of us can choose to do) also warned us against condemning and judging others. One day we will all stand before God. Those of us who condemned others will be condemned by Him.

Christ promises all of us eternal life, and I think that however painful it is, living here and believing in Him and trying to follow Him is worth it.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

10. Re: selfish??? *religious content* in reply

The problem with the promise of eternal life is that I have no desire for it, therefore it holds no attraction for me.

11. Re: selfish??? *religious content* in reply

*sigh*

Nevermind.

12. Re: selfish??? *religious content* in reply

o_O

Someone just posted my post in the wrong thread...

o_O

I don't think suicide is selfish, (may aswell reply), I think it is up to you since it is your life after all.

13. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

Why do you have no desire for life? What is it about life that makes you want to not live it?

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

14. Re: selfish??? *religious content* in reply

Actually, I don't think that I could make you understand...not in a way that would have any meaning to you. Perhaps it's better to just accept my statement at face value and leave it at that.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  15. TG123

TG123 Well-Known Member

OK, I was just curious and hoping for a discussion. But I understand and respect if you don't want to talk about this anymore.

Cristo Vive!
    - Tomasz

16. Re: selfish??? *religious content* in reply

Your interest is appreciated. We'll meet again on other threads.

17. Freakyzeb

Freakyzeb Member

sorry i haven't been able to get back here but the reason i asked this question was because it was asked on another site

If we are all interconnected, do we have a right to commit suicide and, if so, under what circumstances?

and my answer [below] got no response

I think it all depends on the situation. If you have exhausted every other avenue for help with the problems that make you feel that way then go ahead. I know there is lots of help out there but it doesn't always work or help the person.

Suicide being selfish isn't that a bit of an Oxymoron - isn't it selfish to ask someone to do what you want to do, not what they want.

I have suffered from depression for many years now, my wife left me because she couldn't handle my depression, the last of my family disowned me because I suffer from depression and I had to take care of my schizophrenic father because they wouldn't.
    I have sought help and been turned down , made a couple of suicide attempts that might have been cries for help but you figure they wouldn't send me home after I swallowed over 150 pills or stuck my feet out of the bushes so I could be found later because I put a plastic bag over my head and waited to suffocate ( I guess i used too big of a bag)so next time i get in a funk i will just do it and not cry for help.

Is it selfish of me for not wanting to take anymore taxpayers dollars because I am on a disability or for the medications supplied, or is that just caring about others.

hope this help explains my situation and all

18. I wonder why you received no response ? It wasn't as if your post was incoherent gibberish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.