Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by innocencexisxlove, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

Am I the only one, who thinks that when people say, "You can't die, you can't kill yourself, I need you!", it makes 'em seem kinna selfish, don't it? I mean they should stop thinking about themselves, and just realise how much better off we'd be, dead... :unsure:
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

You wouldn't be better off dead.
    "I need you is selfish." But it is not selfish to try and get you help to want you to survive and find happiness.
  3. innocencexisxlove

But it's hopeless if the happiness will never happen..
  4. L13D13

L13D13 Member

Can you explain Why the happiness will never come?
  5. innocencexisxlove

i've been waiting for what seems like ever, for happiness.. still isn't there..
  6. L13D13

L13D13 Member

What will make you happy?
  7. AnxiousBoy

AnxiousBoy Member

"I need you!"... maybe it is selfish. but don't you need no one?
    If someone tells me he/she needs me it gives me hope and i know than that I got that someone, and that someone got me. Gives me a reason to live.

I can't remember the last time someone told me that.

and what is the definition of happiness?
  8. innocencexisxlove

I don't think there is a definition. Everyone has their own.

Mine, haven't found it yet.. and it kills..
  9. anonymousguy

anonymousguy Member

Well, I know what you mean. But the people who say that don't only want what's best for themselves, they want you to discover happiness, and enjoy life. You're saying it's hopeless, but I know it's not because some people do get better after being in a very deep depression. I hope that you find happiness, I hope that we all do. Try to take comfort in knowing that no matter how worthless you feel, you are worth something to someone.
  10. innocencexisxlove

11. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I hate blanket statements too. I believe alot of times, the receiving person,is more fearful of not being able to stop a suicidal person from going. Let's face it, NOT everyone will make it. It's their own selfish fear that is the immediate response.

I asked my former psych during a session a few years ago "Do you feel powerless?" I point blank grilled him on it b/c he knew I was suicidal and visiting the bridge....

He repsonded "I'm afraid of pushing you away...."

I was pretty irritated by his repsonse and told him that it's b/c HE is's centered around him and his feelings. Really has nothing to do with's 50/50 chance for the both of us and he failed me right then and there with his selfish ways.

I guess everyone is selfish........including us.

I hate it.
  12. release_me

release_me Member

I suppose it would be less selfish to say "I'll really miss you" as opposed to "i need you"
  13. hare

hare Active Member

i don't think "i need you" is very selfish. in a way, everything can seem selfish. human intentions are always geared toward their own personal well being, even a devotion to helping others. though "i need you" sounds self centered, someone else is encouraging you to stay alive. it gives your purpose. there are not many peope i'm close with, or i'm sure care about me, but one of the reasons to stay alive for me is to know that those few people care.
  14. notwanting2live

notwanting2live Well-Known Member

youre saying isnt it selfish that people who want to keep you alive tel you that. Suicide is a very selfish thing. I am not patronising, or critising anyone. Heck Im suicidal, and i think of death everyday. I always think that im being selfish becuase of who im leaving behind, and who will clean up my mess and everything. but then i think im being more selfish by staying alive, causing more problems then i could if i were dead.

People see suicide as selfish, and suicidal people think that people who are trying to help them are selfish, for not letting them go through there plans. [well the majority of people]

Everyone is the same when it comes to emotions, although some show it whilst others dont. Its the feelings one another has for each other, that makes it selfish to that person or not. Does that make sense?
    PM me anytime. Tc x
    Xx Sky xX
  15. innocencexisxlove

yea.. it makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.