selfish?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by jessmtc, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessmtc

jessmtc New Member

if suicide is selfish, then what is everyone that expects you to go on living when they are the only ones that benefit from it?

2. Suicide isn't selfish. Anyone who says that it is selfish, is an insensitive, greedy moron who just wants to manipulate you by guilt.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't think suicide is selfish.

4. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Imo, suicide isn't selfish.

5. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

I have a different take on this.

selfish defined:

concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others.

By this definition, how could suicide be anything but selfish? I don't think people who commit suicide do it with other's best interests, or feelings in mind. In fact, I find it hard to even think of a more self centered act(except for maybe murder) then the act of suicide. Its totally about you, and you alone. Once you reach that point, nothing matters, nobody else matters to you anymore.

However, that being said, I don't neccessarily believe there's anything wrong with being self centered. Its human nature. You do what you have to do, for you.

6. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Would really depend on the situation. For example, some suicides are a form of protest, so I don't really see how that would fit into your description.

But to reply to OP you raised a good point: it would be selfish for others to want you to stay alive and be miserable, just so they don't have to deal with you being dead.

To the others who are saying suicide isn't selfish, I disagree. In most cases, it is infact quite selfish. Just read the definition of selfish and it's quite obvious.

However, everyone is selfish by nature, so oh well.

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I'm another that doesn't think it is selfish.
    It is selfish to want to hold on to someone. To not let them go. If you care about someone you love them no matter what their decision. If it's suicide, holding on to that person if it is truely what they want is selfish. Holding on is always selfish.

8. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with this statement at all. In most cases, the loved ones of the suicidal person are acting in a selfish way by attempting to "save" or prevent there death, simply because they care more about the emotional pain and suffering they will experiece upon that person's death, rather than the actual life of the person themself.

However, that statement does nothing to disprove weather or not the act of suicide itself, is in fact a selfish act. If the person who commits suicide is aware of the pain and suffering that will be felt by his/her loved ones at the time of their death, yet choose to go through with it anyway, then how is that any less selfish than the loved ones trying to "hold on to them"?

So in conclusion, I would say Both suicide prevention, and suicide itself are selfish acts in there own regard.

9. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Not selfish your honour!

10. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Of course we're all conveniently leaving out any kids left in the wake aren't we.

Not for children. Young children don't know "selfish"; they just need their mommy and daddy. I said it before but once you bring one young ones into the sphere, you foreit your moral freedom to kill yourself without seeking every means of help. Killing oneselft is a self-releiving act but to leave your body purble and hanging or whatever for father and a five-year old to find is grotesque and will leave the child traumatized for life.

ToHelp

11. Vanq

Vanq Active Member

Selfish, unselfish, so what? If it is selfish, then so be it, I'm selfish. I see nothing wrong with that. Ultimately, the only reason to avoid acting selfishly is that selfish behavior in the short term can backfire in the long term. But when the behavior in question results in the actor's death, there can be no backfire, so the criticism of selfishness is really out of place; it becomes merely an effort to coerce obedience by exploiting the now-obsolete shame subroutines programmed into people by society.

12. Vanq

Vanq Active Member

Well, sure, they don't "know" selfish. They're children. There are a lot of things children don't know. That's one of the things inherent in children. Another thing inherent in children is a degree of egocentricity which in adults would probably be symptomatic of a cluster b personality disorder, but which in children is a normal stage of development. (As I don't see selfishness as a bad thing, this is just a nitpick, not an insult towards children)

"moral freedom" is in your head. You forfeit it only once you've convinced yourself that you have; once you've resigned yourself to servitude. As long as you are still alive, there is always the opportunity to change your mind about something. Especially if you don't have to live with the consequences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.