sell your soul ?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by thl, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thl

thl Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I've been raised as catholic, but this question can be adapted to all kind of religions... I've lost my faith long time ago but I still follow some of the ideals I was thought.

Have you ever thought to sell your soul to the devil ?

I did but probably it's not worth enought or the devil doesn't care about me or doesn't exist at all. Actually I did nothing physical (no pentagrams, rituals or anything like this). Simple a little prayer-like offer every once and then just to keep my offer actual.

2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Hi there. Why do you want to sell your soul to the devil?

3. thl

thl Well-Known Member

you're right, I forgot to tell it... The most classic reason... a girl :) actually not for sex, I asked only for a kiss

4. History

History Well-Known Member

i think the devil will make a fairly good friend since God is an asshole.

5. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Im not religious, but in religion, the devil is all that is evil. Violence, violations, deception, chaos are all attributes to "the devil". Would you want to associate yourself with this aspect of your religion. The people we associate have an immense influence on who we are. Who you support is important to who you are and who you want to become.

This girl, would she want to be associated with "the devil" through you? Or in a simple way, would she want to know the sacrifice you would be making to kiss or be with her.

anyhow I don't believe in any of what I wrote, but if you believe in the devil, im sure youre aware of what ive written. If you are, why do you feel you need to deal with that aspect of your beliefes?

6. thl

thl Well-Known Member

Probably I've just thought to ask to the devil because the ohter parts dosn't listen... Or becaus I like heavy metal :)
    Seriously... I agree the devil is bad but this doesn't mean I would be all that bad. I see the whole thing as a "give me wat I desire now, then when I'll be dead do what you want with my soul". If I understood well you're more on the "give me wat I want know and I'll be your slave from now on". This is another possibility but the only way to find out what's the right one is to read the little clauses at the end of the paperwork :)
    At the end of the whole thing I gave up because it's not the right way to get what I want (I don't want to be a con man). That's why I've never tried to get her drunk or trick her in other ways

7. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Well that's definitely a good thing that you don't want to trick her :biggrin:
    So how long have you known this girl? Maybe if you let a relationship build it will lead to a kiss between you two.

8. thl

thl Well-Known Member

it's more than three years now. And there never will be anything, she already cleard this point very well. Sometimes I think I'm too honest/respectful to be happy in this world. But we're going out of topic here...

9. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

In life we can't always achieve what we want, but sometimes we achieve something else equally as precious.
    Anyhow, I suppose we are getting off-topic.

Na, I wouldn't deal with a negative aspect even if it promised positive results. It's just a vicious circle that i think you get trapped in.

10. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

Would you rather learn to fish?
    Or would you rather get fish from a greedy greedy fisherman who will only give you fish as long as you give that fisherman what they want?

11. thl

thl Well-Known Member

it obviusly depends if I have a chance to get the fish by myself or if I'm in the middle of the desert

12. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

So you're saying you'd make a deal to survive regardless of how that deal conflicts with your morals and ethics?

13. thl

thl Well-Known Member

sure, if the reason to survive is more important than my life/morals/ethics

14. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

So if you had to kill an innocent person to save 100 people, you'd do it?

15. thl

thl Well-Known Member

Probably only as a last resort and if everything else failed, but it depends on too many variables (not last the innocent's will). we're going off topic again :)

16. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Hmm fair enough. I wouldn't. Cause I wonder where that would end, killing 10 to save 1000, killing 1000 to save a million. I think our morals are extremely important to who we are, and that we can't bend them even when if benfits ourselves or others.
    I wasn't getting offtopic just trying to say that associating yourself with something that contradicts who you are is unhealthy. It might benifit us in the moment or long run, but the sacrafice itself can unwravel the whole aspect of who we are.

17. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Everyone has already sold their sold to "the devil." "The Devil" being the metaphor for all things degrading and degenerative against our human nature, such as greed, lust, murder, doing ill to our own people, not caring about one another's well-being, etc. We've already signed the contract to sell what we believe in, in exchange for jobs that support a structure that degrades ourselves and humanity. Jobs = money. We've turned in our souls for this route to money. It's the classic scenario that needs only your signature on the contract. Ever see The Little Mermaid? Aladdin? They get what they want and all they have to do is sign themselves away. Both Disney films by the way...

18. TerrapinStation

TerrapinStation Well-Known Member

Well, in my belief system, there is no devil to sell my soul to, so if someone out there was offering, say, a million dollars to anyone willing to sign a contract willing his soul to Satan, I'd do it in a hot second, since there is no Satan.

19. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

^ DO you have a job?

20. TerrapinStation

TerrapinStation Well-Known Member

Nope, unless you count collecting unemployment checks and "diligently" looking for work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.