Semicolon tattoo trend good or bad?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by DrownedFishOnFire, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

2. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd advocate permanently marking yourself like that to anyone. For anyone who is aware of its meaning, it's publicly announcing SH/depression in some fashion. I'd personally not want to have that flashed to people. Not because of shame or anything, but just of the subject matter. To each their own though, atleast it's easy to mask if it bothers them in the future.
  3. Ladygrace

Ladygrace Active Member

I admire tattoos that are really well done, but this one i would not get inked due to it being kind too easy to look back to the meaning. now if it was an image or a picture of something that has a great meaning or importance to you, then i would recommend that instead as it has more of a personal meaning towards it.
  4. What

What Active Member

I have ink, I like ink. But I know that ink is not for everyone. So I think this is an idea with very good intentions and really poor execution. People can use all sorts of things to express symbolism.. keychains, stickers, jewelry, etc.. Doesn't have to be a tattoo.
  5. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Agree with all 3 of your input on this subject. Justme7, lady grace and what.

I am also wondering how many of us knew what it even meant before reading this article?

I sure didn't know what it meant until I read it.
  6. summerraine

summerraine Member

I was curious to how other people felt about this! At first I thought it was a good idea, but I would never get it. I only have one tattoo and a few more planned but I want to hide my SH/depression/anxiety. I'm not ashamed of it, I just think it's private. I'm worried this trend will become a trend for anyone who's felt a little "sad" and it will lose it's meaning. It's not the only tattoo that can be positive about depression!
  7. ThinBlueFlame

ThinBlueFlame Member

I can't knock any project that attempts to destigmatize mental illnesses.

On a personal level, I love tattoos and have 5 of them. I'm not certain I would want a permanent, visible reminder of my depression on my body. My scars already do that. I'm a punctuation/grammar nerd so if I DID get that tattoo I don't think anyone would doubt it if I said, "Oh, this thing? I just really felt the need to express my undying love for the semicolon." :D
  8. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

As someone who self harms, it has been bothering me. I can't put my finger on why. It's supposed to signify a life that could've ended, but didn't. That shows a lack of understanding of self harm as not everyone who self harms is suicidal. I just feel like it's slacktivism. People who don't self harm are getting it to say SEE I CARE, and that's rubbing me the wrong way. You wanna show me you care? Be there for me when I need you, don't get a tattoo that means jack to me.

Eta: reading it shows me it has gone past sh. When I first learned of it, it was just for sh. I still stamd by my opinion of it being slacktivism

Also adding I've never encountered anyone with it that actually struggles with sh. Only people who say they want to show support. Thus, it's already losing it's meaning.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.