Practical Advice Sensitive Teeth aka Dentin Hypersensitivity

Inanimate

In a sense, I’m struggling with self-care for reasons beyond the control of motivation.

If this is you, or if you know something that I don’t, do you have any:
  • tips on how to minimize the pain as a supplement to antisensitivity toothpastes?
  • OTC recommendations that work well for you (or in general) where others have failed?
  • insights about what a dentist/hygienist has done or can do for you when OTC treatments aren’t effective?
As someone who endures enough torment and trauma as it is, I don’t mind minimizing pain where it is feasible to do so. Potassium nitrate and stannous fluoride have certainly helped to make sensitivity to touch bearable, but it is just that. My sensitivity to cold, i.e., lukewarm water, is unchanged. Dare I eat anything sweet or sour, especially sweet and sour, no depression on my teeth is safe from the bite of cold and, god forbid, my bristles.

Currently, I’m brushing with a stannous fluoride toothpaste, brand name Colgate Total SF (Clean Mint) twice a day for two minutes, sometimes three times as needed. This toothpaste offers nothing unique since I’ve used stannous fluoride for several months already, but the taste and consistency is my favorite so far.

Since my quest for sensitivity control began, I’ve learned to spit/“expectorate” without rinsing my mouth as this leaves residual active ingredients behind for a longer time (about 30 minutes I surmise). When that alone isn’t enough, I also “spot treat” the affected teeth with my toothpaste to help alleviate the pain faster. (It hurts like a bitch, but it hurts less with consistency.) I do use soft bristles, albeit on an electric toothbrush; whether or not that’s too aggressive is unclear.

I suspect that my gum recession, which is the underlying problem, was caused by improper brushing, if not genetics, at least in the past. Nowadays, I just let my Oral B brush head glide across my teeth.

So that’s the extent of my treatment in addition to avoiding obvious triggers. If you have anything to contribute at all, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I have similar issues and my dentist told me to use Sensodyne Rapid Relief toothpaste, brush three times a day when possible and at nighttime to rub a generous amount over my teeth and gums before going to bed. I also rub it into any problem areas as needed throughout the day. It's helped somewhat but still not enough to make me happy about it. Sounds pretty similar to what you're already doing but maybe this toothpaste would help a little more. Could be worth a try if you haven't already tried that one.
I hope you find something that works better (and if you do, please let me know!) as it's such a painful thing to live with.

Inanimate

I have similar issues and my dentist told me to use Sensodyne Rapid Relief toothpaste, brush three times a day when possible and at nighttime to rub a generous amount over my teeth and gums before going to bed. I also rub it into any problem areas as needed throughout the day. It's helped somewhat but still not enough to make me happy about it. Sounds pretty similar to what you're already doing but maybe this toothpaste would help a little more. Could be worth a try if you haven't already tried that one.
I hope you find something that works better (and if you do, please let me know!) as it's such a painful thing to live with.
Thank you for your prompt response.

Sensodyne Rapid Relief has been on my radar, but I’ve been building up to it since the price is more than what I normally pay for a toothpaste. If I don’t visit my dentist soon, then I’ll likely buy that as a last resort, but I doubt it’ll reduce my sensitivity more than the stannous fluoride toothpaste that I’m already using. Unfortunately, I did buy a value pack of my current toothpaste recently, so I’m stuck with these guys for the rest of the year. Welp!

“...apply at least a 1-inch strip of the product onto a soft bristled toothbrush...”

By the way, have you (or anyone) actually tried this? I only tried it once, and, my God, it is so much toothpaste. I just use a “pea-size” or a half inch at most, which has been more than enough to cover all areas of my teeth.
Hopefully soon. It’s not enough to have a lack of motivation stacked against us; we must also actively dread the pain of brushing certain areas of our teeth and remain vigilant about everything we eat, drink, and breathe!

I just use a “pea-size” or a half inch at most
I seem to have had fewer cavities since I increased from a "pea-size" amount to an amount closer to 1 inch, maybe 3/4.

I have dental sensitivity to cold too. I'm also trying to follow traditional Chinese dietary therapy, which suggests not consuming anything cold (an exception being if someone suffers from an excess of energy). I don't use any sensitivity toothpaste.

I don't have any dental sensitivity to sweet foods, but sugar and sweets are probably better off avoided anyway.

I'd suggest just going with the flow, and seeing if your dental sensitivity is actually pushing you in a good direction. I don't think anyone has ever become sick as a result of cold, sweet, or sour dietary deficiency, so maybe give it a few months and see how it goes. You can always go back to resisting if you prefer.

Maybe you'd like to try an electric toothbrush, and perhaps your dentist can advise you on the best brushing technique.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00