Separation Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by aoeu, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to wonder if I suffer from this, as I am thoroughly lost and depressed when my pseudo-girlfriend is away and I've been this way since I've known her, about 18 months ago. She's gone often, so I figure I should be at least used to it by now... I'm keeping a mood chart right now, and generally when she shows up I go 7-8/10 [very happy, almost manic] and when she's gone I'm closer to 3/10 [nearly suicidal].

Anyone have experience with this?
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yes I get it really bad. I have a major problem with separation. So much so that sometimes I will meet new people and immediately hate them because I'm so scared that I'll like them and they'll leave me.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Actually, that's familiar, though I figured it was unrelated. Unwilling to meet new people so that they won't ignore me.
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i was thinking, when i was about 2 onwards i thought if my mother closed the door, ie, took a shower, went to the toilet she had disappeared and wouldn't come back. there are numerous pictures of me at that age, on the floor peering through the gap between the door and the floor, the light, to see if she was still there, when taking a shower. reminds me of the peek-a-boo game- i had difficulty understanding that when they went, they'd come back.
    i used to also sleep in the same bed as her until very old really and would demand she'd have to come to bed with me. honestly i was shit scared of being alone. and when i woke up and there was no one there, ...i'd be howling and think that everyone had disappeared or had died. that was my earliest memory actually when i was 3. waking up and there not being anyone there.

i had this when she used to go to work in nights too but that was maybe a mixture of fears as i was left alone with my father a lot.
  5. kidB

kidB Active Member

Wow, wow, wow. Story of the last year of my life! I have been with a girl on and off for a year, and I tend to panic if I am away from her for a long amount of time, yet when I am with her, or able to talk to her easily, I find that I am FAR beyond my normal confidence - actually, I feel invincible sometimes. (So that would probably rank a 10 out of 10.)

However, we just broke up recently, and I had a very serious suicidal thought (It would probably rank about a 2.5 on your ten scale.)

You should PM me. I would love to talk to you about this more.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.