September 11 to be forgotten in 50 years

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by The_8th_Wonder, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

We all remeber where we were and what happened on September 11th, 2001. But the only reason people think about it and talk about it is because it was so recent. A lot of people forget the worst attack in the US was Pearl Harbor. Very few people know the date that this event occured and the only reason I know it is because it's the day after my birthday. I can't even remember the exact year that it happened. I'm not saying pearl harbor is completely forgotten but it has long faded and isn't remembered. My school takes a moment of silence for all who lost their lives on September 11th but they do not to anything to remember Pearl Harbor. So do you think that September 11th will be forgotten just as Pearl Harbor was because people were not around to experience the event?

2. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

It's bound to happen, with time people start caring less and less.

3. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

I dont think anyone has ever forgotten pearl harbour, even non americans (ie me.) But I have no doubt considering the path we're going down that there maybe alot more and bigger attacks within the next 50 years so it would be unsuprising that it wont be on peoples minds.

4. noplacetogo

noplacetogo Well-Known Member

History is always forgotten. I give it a little less, maybe 25 years. It's not that people don't care, I think it's just time fades memory. It's like trying to remember your own past, no one can recall all the dates to the important moments in their lives, they just remember what happened, and if it's hard to recall dates of your own history, the same can be said of recalling the world's history. There's also the problem of rewriting history, so in the future, the history of 9/11 might not even be what it was, and remembering a false past basically is forgetting. So yeah, all is forgotten.

5. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

7 down, 43 ta go :biggrin:

think we'll be here as a race 50 years from now? that's pretty optomistic
    and good for you for being that optomistic :wink:

>>>My school takes a moment of silence for all who lost their lives on September 11th but they do not to anything to remember Pearl Harbor<<

that's kinda weird. but then school, not to mention pretty much every
    thing else that exsists or ever has is kinda weird. in particular, uh..
    revisionist schools. twas ever thus.

fret not! our glorious next president will see to it that 9/11 does not
    outshadow the true great war of our time, VietNam!! oh sorry, I mean
    WWII and pearl harbor and all that trivial stuff that's not really all that
    important or interesting any more. the normandy invasion, nazi germany,
    eh, ancient history. but still, well who knows? maybe Obama will win.
    couldn't hurt :dry:

6. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

>>There's also the problem of rewriting history, so in the future, the history of 9/11 might not even be what it was, and remembering a false past basically is forgetting. So yeah, all is forgotten<<

rewriting history? say it isn't so!!

7. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

people will forget unless it benefits them not to. thats how the world works unfortunately.

8. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

To be honest, I couldn't care less.
    In the grand scheme of things 3000 dead is really nothing compared to the shit that goes on everyday in the world and if the same thing had happened in lets say Nairobi or Kabul no one would give a flying fuck after a month had passed.

9. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

colloquially expressed, but essentially correct :dry:

10. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Well yes, tragedies are only tragedies as long as there are living people who experienced them. Pearl Harbor is barely within living memory which means it soon will not be a tragedy anymore and will then be just history.

By the way, more people died in WTC than PH. But there is a common thread between the two events: they were only surprises to American public. Roosevelt before PH, Bush before WTC, and numerous other heads of staff had forewarning dating back months before the 'shocking' attacks. And the two events just coincidentally happened to further Presidential objectives both times around.

11. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

Tragedies happen every day even in our own neighborhoods and they go unnoticed. The truth is we remember what affects us personally the most. My cousin for instance was in Washington at the Pentagon at the time of the crash but fortunately he was in a different location. My fiance lost a friend in the trade center. For these reasons it won't be forgotten not to mention it is also my birthday and it was a birthday I won't forget. As time passes and it becomes more part of history at least it will still be taught about in school so hopefully it will not be forgotten.

12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I don't think many people have forgotten Pearl Harbor. The reason many people remember the date for 9/11 and don't know the exact date for Pearl Harbor is probably because 9/11 is referred to as 9/11 and Pearl Harbor is simply referred to as Pearl Harbor.

It's hard to forget the date when the date is integrated into the name we all use to refer to the event.

9/11 will not be forgotten for at least 50 years. I (unlike some Americans) do not believe 9/11 is the worst thing that's ever happened in the history of the world. It was horrible, yes. However, the death toll was actually relatively small compared to things that have happened elsewhere in the world.

9/11 was so traumatic to Americans because (obviously) Americans just aren't used to seeing such things happening to people and in places so near and dear to their hearts. In many ways, NYC is the heart of America so it couldn't have happened in a worse place.

Pearl Harbor was devastating militarily but 9/11 was far more traumatic psychologically. The fallout from 9/11 has so many facets. Not the least of which is the fact that it really tested (and I would argue, nearly destroyed) so many of our fundamental principles.

After 9/11, Americans started really looking at their neighbors as potential threats. A lot of it was directed at people who "looked foreign" but many people ended up on no fly lists for no reason. It was like McCarthyism all over again. Only probably worse. If you didn't agree with the president, you were a traitor. And worse, a potential terrorist.

No. 9/11 will not be forgotten. If for no other reason than the way it changed this country (possibly forever).

13. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

>>>No. 9/11 will not be forgotten. If for no other reason than the way it changed this country (possibly forever)<<

most assuredly forever. anyway, we need to remember it long enough for
    Prezzydent McCain and Vice Veep Monic..I mean, Sarah Palin to get
    moved in and whatnot. then we can shitcan it :dry:

14. saint6

saint6 Well-Known Member

it will be forgotten and erased from our history. just like everything else.

15. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Just like the crusades, or Christopher Columbus' landing on the Americas :rolleyes:

16. Chernarus

Chernarus Well-Known Member

we said the same thing with pearl harbor it wont be forgotten and it was so since mankind repeats its mistakes we will forget maybe not our generation but our children and theres are almost certainly going to forget

17. The_8th_Wonder

True I thought about that but how many people will remember the year that it happened. It's possible that 9/11 could be referred to as Patriot's day which is what George Bush named it.

That is completely ridiculous. Any American who think that 9/11 is the worst thing to happen in the history of the world doesn't know sh** about history. The ONLY reason I would accept this is if they lost a loved one but it can't compare to the estimated 11 MILLION people that died in the holocaust. 11 million versus 2,800 thousand doesn't compare.

Agreed New York is the heart and the soul of America. Sure there as important cities such as Chicago and LA but I'm almost positive New York is the most known American city world wide.

Well do not forgot that there were more than 2 planes involved in 9/11. One of the 4 planes hit the Pentagon which is the military base for America.

I wouldn't really call Saudi Arabia (which is where almost all of the hijackers came from) a neighbor but that's just me.

Well yeah it won't be forgotten but what I am saying is that it won't be remembered as it should just like Pearl Harbor isn't remembered as well as it should be.

And your wish is granted. I'm very sorry for your losses and wish the best for you. We got new US History textbooks this year and yes September 11th is in them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  18. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Random
    I don't think many people have forgotten Pearl Harbor. The reason many people remember the date for 9/11 and don't know the exact date for Pearl Harbor is probably because 9/11 is referred to as 9/11 and Pearl Harbor is simply referred to as Pearl Harbor.

True I thought about that but how many people will remember the year that it happened. It's possible that 9/11 could be referred to as Patriot's day which is what George Bush named it.

Quote:
    9/11 will not be forgotten for at least 50 years. I (unlike some Americans) do not believe 9/11 is the worst thing that's ever happened in the history of the world. It was horrible, yes. However, the death toll was actually relatively small compared to things that have happened elsewhere in the world.

That is completely ridiculous. Any American who think that 9/11 is the worst thing to happen in the history of the world doesn't know sh** about history. The ONLY reason I would accept this is if they lost a loved one but it can't compare to the estimated 11 MILLION people that died in the holocaust. 11 million versus 2,800 thousand doesn't compare.

Quote:
    9/11 was so traumatic to Americans because (obviously) Americans just aren't used to seeing such things happening to people and in places so near and dear to their hearts. In many ways, NYC is the heart of America so it couldn't have happened in a worse place.

Agreed New York is the heart and the soul of America. Sure there as important cities such as Chicago and LA but I'm almost positive New York is the most known American city world wide.

Quote:
    Pearl Harbor was devastating militarily but 9/11 was far more traumatic psychologically. The fallout from 9/11 has so many facets. Not the least of which is the fact that it really tested (and I would argue, nearly destroyed) so many of our fundamental principles.

Well do not forgot that there were more than 2 planes involved in 9/11. One of the 4 planes hit the Pentagon which is the military base for America.

Quote:
    After 9/11, Americans started really looking at their neighbors as potential threats. A lot of it was directed at people who "looked foreign" but many people ended up on no fly lists for no reason. It was like McCarthyism all over again. Only probably worse. If you didn't agree with the president, you were a traitor. And worse, a potential terrorist.

I wouldn't really call Saudi Arabia (which is where almost all of the hijackers came from) a neighbor but that's just me.

Quote:
    No. 9/11 will not be forgotten. If for no other reason than the way it changed this country (possibly forever).

Well yeah it won't be forgotten but what I am saying is that it won't be remembered as it should just like Pearl Harbor isn't remembered as well as it should be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackPegasus
    Tragedies happen every day even in our own neighborhoods and they go unnoticed. The truth is we remember what affects us personally the most. My cousin for instance was in Washington at the Pentagon at the time of the crash but fortunately he was in a different location. My fiance lost a friend in the trade center. For these reasons it won't be forgotten not to mention it is also my birthday and it was a birthday I won't forget. As time passes and it becomes more part of history at least it will still be taught about in school so hopefully it will not be forgotten. <<<

>>>I wouldn't really call Saudi Arabia (which is where almost all of the hijackers came from) a neighbor but that's just me<<<

that isn't what he was referring to. saudi arabia? random did not mention
    saudi arabia, who is our "ally"! he is referring to real neighbors, like you
    me and Mr and Mrs FrontPorch next door. THOSE neighbors :dry:

19. The_8th_Wonder

How did this not allow us to trust out neighbors? I'm not able to comprehend this because I don't trust anyone but as far as I know I never heard about this and nothing ever changed. Do you mean not trusting neighbors based on race or in general?

20. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

Quote:
    After 9/11, Americans started really looking at their neighbors as potential threats. A lot of it was directed at people who "looked foreign" but many people ended up on no fly lists for no reason. It was like McCarthyism all over again. Only probably worse. If you didn't agree with the president, you were a traitor. And worse, a potential terrorist[/QUOTE]

>>>Do you mean not trusting neighbors based on race or in general?<<<

anybody and everybody :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.