Serious Political Debate/Discussion

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Murdoc, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murdoc

Murdoc Member

Hello everyone I was just wondering how many people on here would be interested in a chatroom/group where we would have mature and serious political debates and discuss current events. As a avid follower of political news I would love to have someone to have a good discussion with, any political idology welcome.
    Anybody interested contact me and let's set something up

2. What

What Active Member

Good luck on that heh heh. Politics affect people's lives so deeply. Debates often boil down to differing beliefs/theories on the best way to help people survive, to have decent quality of life, trying to navigate morality, etc. To me "politics" is just a huge umbrella that I think gives a lot of people the impression that they'll just be discussing next year's tax proposals. But it very quickly runs much deeper than that, since everything is connected. I cannot really imagine a good political debate that does not turn very passionate, which means it could easily become quite heated. I think emotion and passion just comes with the territory. It can still be mature, like no need for ad hominem attacks and whatnot, but still heated, passionate. It is like sex for brains.

3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I could think of better rooms to be honest. Politics are pretty nasty. Unless you are aligned and trying to brainstorm proactive ways of "getting" something across, a room like that promotes clashing on pretty solid things for people. Rights, God, Freedom ect. Idk if it's a great thing on a forum where people are stressed to the tilt. They used to have no ends of problems with chat when it was used heavily... and that was just on normal open rooms. Suicidal feelings and Politics is an ugly combination imo

Im so optimistic arnt i :D

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Virtually every political thread here in the soapbox and political discussion that gets started in chat ends up being closed and shut down. Sadly, it also includes infractions far too often because it is too volatile subject that is too close to home for many. I would recommend you find some people that already share your general points of view or that you know and understand as a person and friend already and have private conversations by pm and even then remember to tread carefully and make sure it is clear you are discussing political opinions and not personal attributes of the members in the discussion.

As mentioned above, as a support forum with many people already dealing with self esteem issues this is more suited to be a place for support than debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.