Sertraline

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Khvde, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Hi, do you take or have you ever taken any form of sertraline before?
    I have taken sertraline as the med Selectra and I have tried taking 25, 50 and 100 mg.
    25 mg made me very depressed.
    50 mg made me slightly depressed.
    I am happy with the 100 mg but I only took 100 mg once now so time will tell the future.

How about you?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm on 200mg of sertraline, it keeps my mind in check and tames my anxiety, I think it's one of the better anti depressants, its used for other mental health conditions as well . I know many people who have had success with sertraline. How long have you been on the drug? It made me feel worse before I felt better so in total it took me about 6 weeks to feel the full effects. I have been on this drug for approx 2 years.

Khvde likes this.
  3. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I tried 50 mg for 5 days. Then I stopped because it made me slightly depressed.
    I tried 25 mg for 2 days. Then I stopped because it made me very depressed.
    So today I tried 100 mg at 21.00. It is 23.14 now and I am feeling nice.

4. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Do you take additional meds?
    I am happy to hear sertraline is good for you. :)
    You said sertraline is one of the better antidepressants, could you share with me what others are?
    Is there a x mg/kg thing for sertraline? I am 49 kilograms so I wanted to feel safe about taking 100 mg.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I do take additional meds, valium, zyprexa, lexapro and lyrica BUT I started taking sertraline if I'm remembering correctly because I was extremely stressed and anxious and the ones I was on weren't helping so I definitely noticed that I had a huge mood improvement after a few weeks of starting the drug. I am very over weight but I have no idea if sertraline goes by your weight, I was given 200mg 'cos I was in a fairly bad place at the time. I hope it helps you.

Khvde likes this.
  6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I took 200mg of sertraline a few years back and it did nothing for me except make me agitated and psychotic.

Khvde likes this.
  7. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Wow I am sorry to hear that. Do you have bipolar? Sorry if I am wrong.
    Is there a X mg/kg thing for sertraline?

8. Butterfly

Yes, I do have Bipolar. I wasn't diagnosed at the time :)

No, there isn't a mg/kg with Sertraline.

Khvde likes this.
  9. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Wow I am so sad that you were having a very bad time earlier in your life. It is so nice that you found relief. :)

Can I ask you what kind of meds those are you use additional to sertraline?

10. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I am happy to hear that because I am 49 kg and I was worried about taking 100 mg sertraline. Specially because my psychiatrist told me to take 25 mg for a week and continue with 50 mg. But I disliked both 25 and 50 mg. They both made me depressive.

11. Butterfly

Sometimes AD's can make you feel more depressed for a short time whilst you start them but it sounds like perhaps your meds are starting to work, which is good :)

12. RetroJoe

RetroJoe Member

I'm taking 150mg of Sertraline on a daily basis however, I'm also taking 100mg 3 times daily of Tramadol for chronic pain. If I forget to take the Tramadol aside from my chronic pain increasing, I also become VERY depressed.

13. iam

iam SF Supporter

Tramadol is very addictive. I got from my doctor after an operation. When he decided I had been on them long enough he took me off them straight away. The withdrawal effects were almost instant. I stopped taking them in the morning and by the afternoon I was a wreck. I had to be weaned off them slowly and for a long time. Maybe your feel withdrawal if you forget to take them. I'm on setraline now and find them effective for a while and then I get a dip again and have to go back and get my dose upped. You should see your doctor about it as soon as possible. Stay strong. Hug

RetroJoe likes this.
  14. SinisterKid

SinisterKid Safety & Support SF Supporter

Was started in April on 50mg of Sertraline and I am now up to the max dose of 200mg and have been taking that for about 6 weeks now. It does SFA for me and the psych has just introduced Mirtazapine to suppliment the sertraline. It should help enhance the effects of the sertraline. We shall see. In group therapy we keep mood and anxiety records and my graphs haven't changed at all which shows that so far, therapy and medication is not working. Very frustrating, but I understand there are no miracle cures.

15. a_andrews

a_andrews Member

I take 75mgs of Sertraline at bedtime (also on Zoloft and Lamotrigine). It knocks me right out - like KO'd! I'm finding that some nights I am sleeping 11-13hrs. Its so refreshing to actually be able to sleep at night and not have the numerous thoughts running through my mind for hours. Does anyone else experience the sedation effects from Sertraline??

16. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

When do you take it? I find that when I take it before bed... it actually keeps me up most of the night. However, it makes me so tired during the day. The sedation effect for me is very delayed.

17. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

(sorry for the double post, edit feature timed out)
    Also, I'm on 25mg. I'm very sensitive to medication, so I tend to have a lot of weird side effects. The weirdest for me so far has been the delayed sedation and a general foggy feeling in my head. It has, also, made my anxiety worse. I read that that does taper off, though. A lot of people when starting SSRIs will first experience an increase in symptoms before the medication starts working. You have to give it 2-4 weeks before you expect it to take effect. It can be frustrating, which is why continuing talk therapy is very important. I'm a week in, and already experiencing positive effects on my depression. Some days, I don't feel depressed at all even. I still feel anxious, though. Time will tell if it helps with that. I'd like to not go higher than 25mg for now since I have a newborn to look after, and the sedation is something awful when it kicks in... I'm sensitive to meds, so the higher the dose, the stronger the side effects. When I was on like 100mg Lamictal, I was miserable from side effects.

It made me agitated the first few days, as well. I was scared for a moment that I had undiagnosed bipolar. The agitation passed, though. Side effects just vary person to person.

18. a_andrews

a_andrews Member

I take mine as I'm getting ready for bed - usually takes about 30minutes to really take effect and then I'm out for hours! Only thing i really notice is that if i have to wake up early - i am quite groggy. I think its just going to take time for you to get over the anxious feelings that come with the meds - just like the agitation etc! good luck :)

19. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

I started at 25mg yesterday so I have a good month to go before noticing any improvement. I'm told I will know if it is working. It has helped me sleep though.

20. courtney_997

courtney_997 Member

I am taking 150mg of sertraline and It makes me feel mentally stable to a point. But as soon as something bad happens, it makes me feel 10000 x worse