Seven deadly sins

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by xan, Apr 23, 2010.

Which of the seven deadly sins would you say you've given into?

1. Lust

4 vote(s)
  2. Gluttony

0 vote(s)
  3. Greed

2 vote(s)
  4. Sloth

7 vote(s)
  5. Wrath

1 vote(s)
  6. Envy

6 vote(s)
  7. Pride

3 vote(s)
  8. None of the above

3 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Was just wondering how many you would consider yourself to have broken... Do you think it means anything to break them.. does it make you a particularly bad person? :unsure:

(Edit: should have made it multi-select... I'll ask a mod to change it)
  2. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

All of them, I'd expect. Real Bible standards are strict. Grey areas on lust, wrath and pride, though.

It doesn't really matter, though. Maybe to say you have stronger morals or somesuch, but, even though I personally have strict morals, they are, again, meaningless.

I personally wish to see the ones with lust and pride.. not be having a good time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
  3. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

I have broken most in my life time,and to be honest i do not care at all about deadly sins at all.In my personal opinion,even if you sin your not necessary going to die,so whats deadly about sin.......
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Maybe sloth... Probably none. I'm mostly a good boy but for no reason other than that it leads to good things.
  5. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

All of 'em at one time in my life or another.

I guess that means God is going to kill me after I've died. ;)
  6. Sapphire

No lust? :sad:
  7. Sapphire

haha Exactly. They should have called them "potentially dangerous sins" or something.

Btw, in my opinion they should have called lust "the sin that is a sin to call a sin". haha ;)
  8. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Are you serious, or am I failing to see the sarcasm?
  9. Sapphire

What do you mean? Are you religious? :)
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I certainly lust (high school: 3 years of little else), but I wouldn't say that I've commited the sin of it (which I take to be lust to the extent that it is deleterious, cheating because you're not getting enough, e.g.)
  11. Sapphire

I was serious. And I didn't mean to offend anyone.
  12. Sapphire

Ah, I've learned a new word! I had to look up deleterious. haha I liked your answer, aoeu. :)

I'm of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with sex at all. I'd never call it a sin. But there's a difference to me between sex and objectification, for instance. Sometimes I hear men around me talk about women and it's disgusting. And wrong. I mean a relationship should be characterized by dignity and equality and these men I was referring to don't care about either of those things it seems. So in my opinion there is something wrong with that. But that aside; sex a sin? Not in my book.
  13. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

There's a difference between being sexual, and being lustful.
    I just really, really, really dislike sluts, over-sexualised media, and filth like that. The mentality that one must "live life RIGHT NOW", and thus go on, get drunk/'stoned', and have casual sex just for the orgasm, ignoring the relationship-building part (Chemicals released during orgasm. Google it.). Remember when your parents only gave you ice-cream on special occations? It's similar. It tastes wonderful, but having it often will just make it meh. It'll loose it's value. While I won't follow the western thinking that sex is absurdly important, it has it's uses. If you want an orgasm, and don't have someone you love (Note: Love. Not the teenage "I love you. I also love my cat." love, but actual "I can see us dying together from old age." love.), masturbate. Don't go to a party and screw someone because s/he looks good.

However, I will say that I don't look down on whores prostitutes, or, well, not as a proffesion. Although I would never befriend one, the fact that they're doing it for money instead of orgasm makes it better. It's the difference between an assassin and a murderer. One's doing a job, for financial gain, the other's doing it for emotional gain.

Yes, my argument is weak, and doesn't really have a point. That's why it's called morals. If there was a good, solid argument, it wouldn't be morals. It'd be reasonable.

And, no, I'm a heretic. If I wasn't, I'd be a priest. :)
  14. Sapphire

I'm going to get some sleep as it's 01:30 AM where I live but I'll be back tomorrow to post. I like this conversation. :)

I'll talk to you all later, ok?
  15. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Oh gods.
  16. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I don't understand what the big deal is about the 7 deadly sins, when Jesus himself said that no one sin is worse than another. Then again, The Big 7 are a product of the Vatican (if I am remembering correctly), not the Bible, so I guess that's why I don't take them seriously.

What the hell is wrong with pride? Nothing, that's what, unless you have too much of it. That one has always stuck out for me, as most people are taught to take pride in their work, which they should. I guess seven has a better ring to it than six.

And for the record, I have given in to all except Wrath. I don't see how someone can go through life and realistically say that they haven't given in to a few, if not many of these so called 'Deadly Sins'. It's human nature to do these things. But I guess that's Catholicism for ya, making people feel bad for what they do because the church say it's wrong.

I reckon 'The 7 Detrimental Sins' sounds better, and less dramatic. Unfortunately, fear is an institution with organized religion, so I guess that's why they went with the 'Deadly' title.

EDIT: One question to end this post with. Seeing as wrath is one of the most prevalent characteristics of God, then wouldn't that mean that he has given into a sin, a deadly sin no less, thus rendering him imperfect?
  17. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I'm pretty sure I've borken all.. like in pretty obvious ways :dry:
    Sleeping with girls who's name I don't know,
    Eating till I'm physically ill,
    Putting off work,
    Getting really angry and violent with myself,
    Sleeping with my friends ex... and I've broken them in so many more ways... I swear I'm a horrible person...
  18. plates

plates Well-Known Member

They aren't sins to me. They stem from anxiety about being a living creature, and those creatures are few and far between.
  19. Theseus

Theseus Well-Known Member

Sloth and Wrath. Hey, they rhyme too!
  20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

An angry sloth :D. I used to be one of those way back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.