seventeen

Discussion in 'Poet's Corner' started by A.SoNiC.boY, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

And so I wonder as I wander though this mess I call my life.
    What would 17 year old me thing of this plight.
    Everything is screwed up, and most of all am I.
    I wonder if he'd choose to just lay down and die.
    To quit while he was ahead, not quite dead yet.
    And I so I wonder as I wander, how much worse can it get?
    17 year old me would know, cause I used to know it all.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I heard it said once:

"Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional"

Sometimes I'm amazed at how childish my thinking can be - it was not meant to be this way!! I thought when I was 17 that when I was old, life would have given me what I needed to know about it and I'd be able to understand the why's and the how's........

and in a way, that has happened, but everything has a cost to it, and it's very tempting (if we knew beforehand, or when we get some idea of what it is we need to do later on) to think "Too hard"........ but all I can say is that it always worth at least trying to do what we know in our gut is the right thing to do...... to preserve life, to be giving, and to persevere etc. etc. All the virtues and the values that we wish the world was really full of, and that people were really full of too - rather than the disappointments that beset us all around.

It is never too late to begin to be the light we want to see in the world. Even when it seems too hard and we have no idea how. Our old reasoning - the invincibility of our teens - our false expectations do actually need to die. Not us. We can begin each day with a new slate.

3. A.SoNiC.boY

A.SoNiC.boY Well-Known Member

thank you for the thoughtful comment. :)

4. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

17 year old me thought she knew everything too, and that life was perfect just the way it was. Too bad 18 year old me learned that that's not how it goes, and 19 year old me will continue learning from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.