Severe Depression + Alcohol

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Edgar Roni Figaro, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgar Roni Figaro

Edgar Roni Figaro Well-Known Member

I hate the taste of alcohol, I have to force myself to even keep it down. I drink the strongest stuff I can so I can just get it down and not have to taste it anymore. I am just so depressed and so tired of thinking and feeling and there's nothing else I can do to stop the way I am feeling or thinking at the time.

It is destroying my life, although my life is pretty much destroyed because of severe depression anyway.

Does anyone use alcohol to carry out the suicidal thoughts they have when they are sober? I know I was drunk when I attempted both my suicide attempts and feel I could easily carry out a 3rd one when I drink.

How do you guys deal with alcohol and severe depression?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You know alcohol and depression is not a good mix you know that bad decisions are made even worse get help okay get off the boose and get some help coping properly god throw it away

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

The last time I got drunk, I realised it was so much easier to attempt- the fight had completely gone.

I don't drink alcohol regularly, I just know now to try and do everything to "move the depression", so I don't drink to numb the pain or when I'm suicidal. That time tho', I found myself not fighting anymore, and it was just so much easier to attempt- it was a good feeling, I remember. But I went to A+E that day, after I'd slept, rather than jumping, ODing or anything.

4. Black Beauty

Black Beauty Well-Known Member

If it tastes like crap then just don't drink it. Seriously, it's just like someone voluntarily drinking their urine. Most alcoholics I know love the taste of wine, but if you don't like it, don't do it just 'cos it's the fad thing for depressed people to drink.

5. Edgar Roni Figaro

I don't drink because it's a fad I am the last person to give a shit what other people think of me. I drink to forget how I feel. My point is drinking is disgusting but the depression is so severe that I'll still do it just to get a couple hours without pain.

6. Black Beauty

Hmm, well I can't advocate marijuana but in my country we have these herbal pills that are legal and can get you high. Have you tried other lawful substances? There's other stuff you can do which has the same effect as alcohol too - like for example working out 'til you black out from exhaustion, and it's in a much safer environment too if you have a trainer at the gym (cheaper too).

7. Edgar Roni Figaro

Thanks for the suggestions, what country are you from? What are the herbal pills that you are speaking of? It sucks how in the US the government thinks it has a right to control what we put into our bodies. It's ok to smoke cigarettes that poison us 60 different ways, drink alcohol and destroy our livers, eat so much food we all die of heart disease, but god forbid they allow us to get high in our homes privately to alleviate some of our mental suffering, that would just be unacceptable. Gotta love the hypocrisy of America though.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

How is working out till you collapse into unconsciousness, safer than blacking out through alcohol? that person is still putting their body under an enormous amount of stress that can damage. I doubt any professional trainer would advocate this.

I think you're completely missing the point that the OP drinks to numb extensive emotional pain like he says, because he's so depressed. Have you read his posts?

9. Black Beauty

Yeah but the point is at least there is a trainer there and he isn't drinking alone until he blacks out, and it's healthier to suffer exhaustion from working out as you get endorphins and at the same time improve your fitness. My point was that there are other things besides drinking that you can do to focus your mind off depressing things.

I'm in New Zealand - we have herbal 'highs', they're rather expensive though.

Sorry if I can't give much more advice, I'm suffering from depression myself and I try to get over it by trying to get a girlfriend. No success so far.

10. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I am so at that point of tackle the core inner angst ....I can't stand it anymore......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.