Severity of depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Can someone describe it to me?

I know that there exist mild, moderate and severe depression.
    My shrink said only that i have depression and that it would be very smart to take pills. But i am only 17 and i dont think that i need them... I know that i dont have severe depression, because there comes periods every few days when i feel severely depressed for few hours, so i defenetly dont feel like it all the time.

Can you describe me moderate and mild depression please?
    Thnx.

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

if you go to psychcentral.com you will find articles describing types of depression (that's where i found the link to this site btw)... anyhow... about the pills... i look at it this way. why not take a lifebelt if you are drowning. later you can figure out how you ended up in the water, how to swim, and how to get out of the water, but in the meantime, why not try meds to see if they keep you afloat.

the thing about anti-depressants is that they don't work for everyone. the wrong meds can sometimes make you feel worse. you have to educate yourself about them before you can make an informed decision. find out what meds the shrink recommends, and at what dosage. what are the side effects? how long does he/she think you should be on them, and what is it like to go off them, ie. will there be withdrawal. get informed and then decide for yourself,

catherine

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for link.
    I don't want to take anti depressants because i dont want to gain weight and because i know that she would not take them (the girl with which im in love for 3 years)
    Strange, but lately i think a lot that i would lie to my schrink that i am not depressed anymore, and then suffer... I know thats what she would do if she would become depressed. I just cant control that kind of thought. I am weird, aint I?
    And thanks for help, I really apreciatte it:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.