sexual orientation

Discussion in 'The Uncertainty Principle' started by poison, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poison

poison Well-Known Member

Is it okay to wonder about where I fall in this category? And is it normal to be not 100% straight, but not to the point of homosexuality or bisexuality. Can someone answer my questions?

2. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

i think its ok :smile:

and i know a lot of people who dont think of themselves as 100% one way or the other, take me for example, i think of myself as bi but i prefer men ....does that make sense?

3. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

I second that! I know a girl that is Bi, but leans more towards girls

4. blub

blub Guest

Ofcourse thats ok :smile:
    Everyone has something beautifull insight or/and outsight
    I think its logic that your not 100% straight
    I consider myself as pansexual
    Doesnt matter if you're boy, girl, older, younger, ugly, gorgeous etc
    Just love the person for who they are

5. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I'm bi but tend more towards girls too. Girls just are sexier imo :tongue:

6. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

Have you ever heard of the Kinsey scale?

0 Exclusively heterosexual
    1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual
    2 Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual
    3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual
    4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
    5 Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual
    6 Exclusively homosexual

7. altek001

altek001 Well-Known Member

i think it's just fine!

i believe i'm bi...but like miss bunny, i prefer the opposite sex more than my own.

...instead of heterosexual...how about...heteroflexable..?
    - Henry

8. BelovedDreamer

BelovedDreamer Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that pinning oneself down to a strict and mutually exclusive category is unnatural. Frankly, the categories of gay, straight, lesbian, bi, etcetcetc are purely social constructs and relatively recent creations. The words heterosexual and homosexual were only coined around the turn of the last century by some theorist whose name I am presently forgetting. Prior to that people didn't put themselves into categories the way we do today. People might in some places have been demonized as a result of the acts they took part in, but they were not designated into a particular identity. Sex was something you did, not something you were.

I'm gonna stop rattling on now because with this topic I could go forever. I've taken a lot of courses related to sexuality and gender identity, as well as the history of queer movements and queer identity. It's an interest of mine, which I am always more than happy to talk about.

9. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I agree with that, i tend to go on personality rather than their sex, i can easily fall for someone of the same sex, and have done in the past i have to admit. Personality counts to me the most, not wether your boy, girl, older, younger, ugly, gorgeous like blub said.

:tongue: :tongue: Ester likes a bit of the girls eh! :tongue: :tongue:

10. nothing-

nothing- Guest

I'd probably throw myself at about 85% straight, 15% ... not straight. :p

I am mostly only attracted to women, but the other side is there; I can't really deny it.

11. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

As someone just asked me, id like to say i never fell in love with the person just had the strong feelings lol, for their personality :smile:

12. poison

poison Well-Known Member

... that was awesome. thank you. I should worship you. :smile: that makes so much sense to me.

13. poison

poison Well-Known Member

I'm confused 'cause before I started having these thoughts, I KNEW I was straight. I was always attracted to woman... and I'm started to feel my old self slighlty come back, so hopefully that means I'm getting to become more comfortable with these damn thoughts. It shouldn't change now(orientation)... should it? that wouldn't make any sense. that would be illogical... right?

14. BelovedDreamer

BelovedDreamer Well-Known Member

So here's my take on it. I view sexuality and gender identity and all that jazz as a bit like taste in food (just humour me here). I always KNEW I hated fish. I'd tried all different types of sea creatures, on a million different things, prepared a million different ways, and never once liked any type of sea food. But I had a girlfriend make me try this fish croquette thing she liked making. To my complete stubborn surprise I liked it, a lot actually. (course I didn't tell her because she would have been entirely too pleased with herself :wink: ) I'd still rather have a piece of chicken or tofu, but I liked it. It convinced me to try other types of sea whatsits. Most of which I still found completely unappealing as food, but some of which were remarkeably palatable. So now when asked I no longer say I hate fish or that I only eat tofu or things that walk on land, I say, I'm picky and there are certain types that I might just be willing to eat. One might have thought that I should have figured this out sooner, but tastes and personalities are constantly evolving things. All sorts of things of things can influence the time span it takes for you to realize something or for a change to occur (for instance, both of my parents hated fish. thus I was raised not eating it...ever. and I also picked up their biases. it never even occurred to me to look at fish and see it as an attractive substance. I'd tried it but I went in assuming I'd hate it. I knew other families ate it. I knew other people liked it, but the idea that I might like it too didn't occur to me until the day i came across something that actually appealed to my tastebuds for whatever reason.). Most people are not raised to think about sexuality as flexible or being queer as a to-be-expected option, much less a category that isn't mutually exclusive. There's nothing illogical about realizing later in life that just maybe you don't only like women. And there is also a difference between being attracted to someone or recognizing their attractiveness on a visceral level and actually wanting to have sex with them. (random pop culture example: Rosie O'Donnell...she has this thing for Tom Cruise. She's been quoted as saying that she doesn't want to have sex with him...she just wants to watch him mow her lawn shirtless.) There may also be a difference between finding one person of a certain gender to be attractive and wanting to love and/or have sex with that particular person and being attracted to members of that group as a whole. As the saying goes, and I mean this with only the slightest cyncism, there is no accounting for taste. Life'll surprise you whether you are eight, eighteen, or eighty.

15. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

it took me yrs to accept the facts about my sexuality. i discovered when i was just nine yrs old that i wanted to be with females. i totally believed though if my parents found out about it they would disown me based on their personal beliefs. so i burried it and good for many many yrs.. so much so i had forgotten all about it. i had gotten married although i was miserable. well, during the marriage my parents did let me go, and it wasn't long following when it all began coming back to me. eventually i divorced and now i prefer mainly to be with women. i won't rule it out and say i wouldn't want to be with a man but those chances are extremely thin. women are beautiful creatures both inside and out.

16. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Unfortunately I think im like 90% hetrosexual, if not a 100%. I say unfortunately because ive had opportunities with guys and havent taken them up. It could have been great..but ill never know. Not to mention my chances of getting action escalate 10 fold lol.

Im not sure id say woman are beautiful creatures both inside and out.....theres a good percentage of evil ones and a-holes amongst them, unfortunately thats what im stuck with though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  17. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

I'm straight, but I once had a dream that I kissed my best friend. I think things like that are normal.

18. Well I belong to what used to be called the 1 in 10 group, and I knew a liked boys more than girls, since as far back as I can remember, I did have the odd fling and what ever, with girls, but deep down inside I just knew.

On a more practicle front, if I fell out with a girl friend I was upset but soon got over it, if I fell out with a mate, it was much more upsetting.

So I suppose I'm 90% gay and 10% straight, tom boy type girls used to turn me on, but over the years I have never really "connected" with women, none of the ever really got me, or me them.

19. I forgot to say, its not uncommon for younger guys or girls come to that, to "fool around" with close friends, in there early teens or later, it doesn't make them "gay", its just a part of growing up.

According to those who "know" its not big deal, just one of those things.

20. Fatman1966

Fatman1966 Antiquitie's Friend

And 100% dumbass, for not having the balls to do anything about it !!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Its still me (Older but not wiser), I got me a login :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.