'Sexually violent' GTA 5 banned from Australian stores

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Something to consider.

I always find it interesting that a 6-10 year old can enter a game shop and browse the games there, and even purchase a mario kart game or whatever. But at the sametime, have a game in the vicinity that incorporates murder, torture, rape, mutilations and various other subject matters.

While I am completely for distribution of all forms of content, you need to be a responsible outlet. If you distribute mature subject, you are affiliated with that content. There is a connection, not a disconnection between what an outlet distributes. And apparently these outlets do not want their company being affiliated with a game that really does have very mature interactive content.

And let's be honest, GTA is in the spotlight again. But why? Because it directly has programmed into it the ability to fuck about with women in derogatory ways. It's not some "part of the game" haze, it's actually been thought out and designed to be exactly that. It's not a bi-product of options that have accumulated to this, it's been designed specifically for the actions you are allowed to do.
    It is a mix between censorship and a stance saying they do not agree with the content. I Have no problem with an outlet not distributing a product, aslong as the product is not blacklisted. Censorship and social stances are delicate things, and I reckon most companies will sell GTA because they are willing to be in that grey zone. Some on the other hand, have more pressing social concerns.

Here's a hypothetical. What if Target donates and endorses "Stop Violence against Women" or something to that affect? Isn't it hypocritical to publicly endorse equality, but in the same breath have a portion of your company endorsing a game that advocates violence against women?
    Another aspect is "it's only sold to adults".

Yeah ok. So for the rest of us in reality, there is a Huge portion of online gamers who are children playing "adult" games. Why? Because parents buy them for their children. Some parents trust their outlets as mainstream guidence platforms(irresponsible but common). So if it's sold at Target enmass, it must be "ok". Some parents just don't care.

I'm one of those who played a little gta/gta3 when I was growing up. But I took the initiative to take the time to make sure I was aware of the content I was playing to a degree, and then rationalize/fend it off. Some kids don't. Some kids live in pockets of society that are more inclined to discriminate against women. They'll find encouragement for that ugly behavior from a game like this because of the content.

^^ That's the sort of position I can see Target taking atleast to a degree. Just something to consider.

4. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

i'm for allowing them to sell or not sell whatever they want, but their reasons are poor, this game has women in more roles than just prostitutes and strippers, and there are no health points for sexual violence against women, that i am aware of at least... this game does not make a game out of hitting women, u can hit whoever u like, that includes both men and women, infact, nearlly of the people u have to kill on the main missions are men, does this mean its ok to hit men in fiction, but not women, if so, why the disparity?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  5. justMe7

:S I think you're generalizing it a little bit. The prostitutes are all women I believe. And the sexualisation is all focused on women.

Can you name some other mainstream games that have the open ended features like GTA?

6. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

"I think you're generalizing it a little bit."

About what?

"The prostitutes are all women I believe."

And this is a problem because?

"And the sexualisation is all focused on women."

Again? Why is sexualisation a problem? and how much of the game is sexualised?

"Can you name some other mainstream games that have the open ended features like GTA?"

I could guess, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, but I don't know, why?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  7. justMe7

The problem is because of the reasons I already suggested. Saints Row and Sleeping dogs are no where on the same selling power as GTA btw.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I remember a few years back my sister was under18 at the time and they refused to sell her GTA, I don't play these games so have no idea but wanted to say if something is over 18's here it really is over 18's

Xaos- I removed your double post.

9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Why are rapists not safe in prisons but every other crime is ok as killers or thieves

That's your answer why it's banned. Sex crimes are a big no-no.

10. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

I don't agree with the petition. It's just another case of "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist". You don't like games where you kill prostitutes? It's good job then that games where you don't kill prostitutes make up the other 99% of the market.

I do understand why Target decided to pull the game off the shelves though. If they had ignored the petition they'd be at risk of alienating a larger portion of their customer base, than if they had catered to the gamer boys. As a major mainstream retail outlet I believe they made the right move business-wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.