SF Book Club - All Welcome!

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Picked up Skins - Ali Cronin from a charity shop and wanted to read out of curiosity. I loved that TV show when I was younger.

The book is awful - do not read haha. It just reads like poor fan fiction :D Though I suppose it can't be too dreadful if I read it in a day.. car crash syndrome, couldn't look away hah.

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
Because of what @Brân said I read Bear by Marian Engel. Same. Read it in an afternoon. Interesting book, she had some things to say about society in there.
Since I'd recently read The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuin, it seemed somehow appropo. Both were women authors, who lived in the same time frame.

Now reading The Messenger of Athens by Anne Zouroudi. I'm jumping back & forth between the text & the audibpe version. The narrator is absolutely excellent.

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Because of what @Brân said I read Bear by Marian Engel. Same. Read it in an afternoon. Interesting book, she had some things to say about society in there.
Since I'd recently read The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuin, it seemed somehow appropo. Both were women authors, who lived in the same time frame.

Now reading The Messenger of Athens by Anne Zouroudi. I'm jumping back & forth between the text & the audibpe version. The narrator is absolutely excellent.
Ooo yay! Bear friend! Glad you read it. It was bizarre in so many ways but I really enjoyed it

seabird

meandering home
SF Supporter
non-fiction:

Atomic Habits, by James Clear
Re-reading.
Excellent self-help. I like it & find it helpful because:
No pep talk stuff
System-based
Well written & concise

fiction:
1. The Rising Tide, by Anne Cleeves