SF... can it hurt as well as help?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by geolab101, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geolab101

geolab101 Well-Known Member

i just had an interesting thought i wanted to share. kind of depressing... i wanted to discuss it.

can SF hold you off on getting real support, like getting meds and a real therapist? can the little bit of extra support here hold you off from getting as much help as needed.

the way i thought about it....

assuming the person wants to get support...
    assuming the person is going to seek out some kind of support before things go insane and the person does something terrible...

could the person get that cushion and end up worse off then before?

of course getting help is never a bad thing, and some people need encouragement to get help, BUT... the way i thought about it... just a little scary.

of course such a person might not care about what people say here and is just trying to leave a little bit behind.

i was just thinking about how i find it impossible to get the help i want, but don't want at the same time because i want to die.

i really do like the support i get here. nothing really beats this place. counsellors need appointments... this is here 24-7.

anyway...

discuss

2. geolab101

i guess what i'm asking is 'what do all you guys think of SF?'

and topics like about where to reach out, and how to as well.

i'm only asking because i have serious issues reaching out when i'm in crisis. and i really only can reach out when i'm doing a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I understand what you mean. I have lots of trouble talking to people. It takes them ages to figure out that something is wrong usually, unless I tell them, and for that to happen I have to REALLY trust them too... so that aint lots of people.

Sometimes people find that SF drags them down.. reading all the threads about people who arent doing too well. Others thrive on it, because then they realise that they are not alone and so it alleviates their feelings a little. It really just depends on the person. I realise that this is probably the not-answer that you are looking for... so sorry about that, but really its true.

TDM

4. geolab101

no that answer was perfectly fine. it really helps when you're seeing the world in such negative light to hear someone else's thoughts.

today i'm talking to two of my friends more about how i cut myself and how suicidal i can be.

this place has always been good to me. i don't want anyone to think it isn't helpful. SF is a step in the right direction for getting better.

5. incombustible2000

incombustible2000 Well-Known Member

I think this is a way of getting help, that you do not need to leave the house for, a lot of people hate doing this when deppressed isolated...

somethings better then nothing, instead of going insane alone you have company.

years ago before the internet, people would of just stayed in there houses maybe, and just stayed there, feeling further and further away from society.

this give people a little bit of there lives back, when it feels like everything is gone and taken away....

and lots of people on sf, say for people to get help, if they deem it neccessary they suggest for someone to get help, you cannot make anyone do anything, but you can try to give them some good advice, and thats okay.

There is beauty, in knowing that you are not alone, and that its okay to be this way.

People in our lives do not know how to handle this many times, and its nice to know that you can just be.... just be the way you are, even if its not good, and work from where you are at... climb at your own pace and its okay... here they understand most do, cause we are all climbing a hill slowly, sometimes we fall back down the mountain, and try to climb again, and sometimes we will fall a hundred times, and its okay here, but other places normal society its not okay... they do not understand, and say well why dont you snap out of it.... when you are staring at the wall for hour, just snap out of it... its not easy, and until you have gone through deppression then you understand, and you can comprehend people with it, and know its not that easy.
    then there the people that climb the mountain, and fall and are badley beaten and bruised... then they stay and do not climb anymore.. they give up the climb, the mountain looks to damn tall, rough rocky and scary... Thats the people that die... its too much .... but anyway lets try to stick together... and remember you are not alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.